Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Limping Mallard  (Read 2066 times)

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
Limping Mallard
« on: July 04, 2010, 12:23:50 pm »
Our beautiful Mallard duck is limping and struggling to move any distance.
I have checked her leg and there are no breaks.  When I hold my hand under her good leg, she pushes against it.  When I hold my hand under the bad leg, she doesn't do anything.  Can't determine if it is her leg or her foot.
Our ducks are totally free ranging and cover a lot of ground during the day-walking up and down the hill to their pond etc.  She is quite a heavy bird (compared to the Runners) and I am thinking she has maybe just twisted her leg or something?  We have isolated her (with another of the females) in a shed with lots of straw and food and access to a small area outside.  We put her in there last night but I think she's a bit worse this morning?!  Not quite sure what else I can do for her?!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Limping Mallard
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 11:12:47 pm »
Keep her totally restricted in a box - no access to outside.  Leave plenty water very close and food too(So she can stretch out to it rather than actually come out of her box.  Check her tomorrow - it might be a break.  You could splint it - I've done that with success.  Two pieces of stick cut just shorter than the leg, bind together with tape of some sort, I just used masking tape, stayed on long enough.  Good luck
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS