Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gate "next to" highway?  (Read 2198 times)

kathiejs

• Joined May 2017
Gate "next to" highway?
« on: June 11, 2017, 09:39:10 pm »
Another question please relating to a property we haven't even bought yet (but it's getting close :excited:)

I gather that we don't need planning permission to erect a gate less than 2m high provided it's not "next to" a highway, but I'm not sure what that means exactly and Google is not helping.  I would want to put a gate across a very short track that leads from the road to a parking area,haybarn and fields - just a lockable 4' metal bar gate to deter fly tippers etc. There would be enough room to pull off the road (but not a lot more) before having to stop to open the gate, so is that enough to make it not "next to"?  Or is there a specific distance? ???

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Gate "next to" highway?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 10:42:47 pm »
It will likely depend on just which area you are in.  The question is whether or not you have to open the verge - in which case you need permission from the Highways Department.  It sounds as if your track already opens onto the road in which case all is well - you would be helping road safety by being able to get a vehicle off the road promptly.  The other question is whether or not the track is a public right of way.  It's probably best just to check with the council so they know what you're doing, and you get the right advice.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kathiejs

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 11:13:36 pm »
It's in Torridge, Devon.  Yes, the track already opens onto the road (a quiet "narrow yellow") - it would make no difference to road safety as vehicles can just turn into the track and proceed straight to the parking area at the moment.  I wouldn't be changing the track - just putting a gate across it, about 5m in from the highway.  No right of way involved.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:17:07 pm »
Just pop the gate in - remember to invert the top hinge ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS