Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very sick ewe - staggers or something else?  (Read 2584 times)

charls

• Joined Oct 2013
Very sick ewe - staggers or something else?
« on: June 10, 2017, 10:09:23 pm »
Hiya, found one of my old gals (lleyn x) very poorly this afternoon. Standing alone, drooling with green stuff coming out of her mouth, walking unsteadily and going in circles, and face and ears twitching. I suspected staggers and gave her a big dose of calcium/magnesium. This was a while ago now, and, whilst she's still standing she still seems very ill, still drooling and heavy breathing. Any ideas what the problem could be? I would have hoped to see a little recovery by now. She has two big lambs so I guess another possibility would be low calcium (though treatment is the same). Anyone seen this before? Thanks.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Very sick ewe - staggers or something else?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 10:21:16 pm »
Listeriosis sounds likely from the symptoms you describe, especially the drooling and circling. However once they are this fay down it is very difficult to get them back. Huge doses of AB's (don't know which one though), and loads, I mean loads of tlc. How old is she and is it worth saving her? But I think this needs a vet.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 10:27:57 pm »
Tetracycline is as good as anything for Listeria. (Also known as circling disease for obvious reasons.) The fact that she's still on her feet is slightly encouraging.If you can get some antibiotics into her tonight then she might have a chance.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

charls

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 10:32:01 pm »
Thanks for the insight. I already gave her pen&strep a little while ago just in case. I considered listeriosis but she isn't drooping on one side? I hope she makes it through the night :fc:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 11:22:18 pm »
They don't always droop on one side, but the circling and ear twitching is very characteristic.
If you're not seeing any improvement, I'd be tempted to give her another shot of strep pen to give her a large initial loading as the infection takes hold very fast in sheep.
Rules are made:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 10:26:49 am »
I think listeriosis most likely.  I'd consider consulting your vet as penstrep may not be the optimum a/b in this case.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 10:53:34 am »
Pen strep is actually one of the antibiotics of choice.
I normally use LA tetracycline as I have it in. But PenStrep is meant to be slightly better.
Rules are made:

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 12:42:09 pm »
disagree on Listeriosis. Think its a mineral/dietary symptoms.  http://www.nadis.org.uk/bulletins/nervous-disease-in-sheep.aspx#CCN

If the ewe has been like this for a few days then the damage has been done and little chance of recovery. If no recovery a couple of days then little chance of any recovery.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 01:04:28 pm »
Or instead of second guessing... ring the vet?  :innocent: if a sheep is that sick it needs a diagnosis asap and your vet is the best person to do this if you don't know what is wrong.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:09:56 pm by twizzel »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 12:56:55 pm »
So - what was the end result Charis?
Rules are made:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS