Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swapping broody geese  (Read 2503 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Swapping broody geese
« on: June 10, 2017, 03:08:52 pm »
Our broody goose has been sitting on eggs for over 3 weeks  now. Yesterday I went out and saw her off the nest, but our other mature female was on the nest. The first goose has stayed away from the nest and the second has stayed on the nest.

I had been worried about letting this first goose sit as she wasn't in great condition but she was adamant. Is it possible that her condition slipped too much and she gave up, and  the second goose stepped in?

Is there anything I need to worry about or watch for timesharing or swapping the sitting?

Thanks

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Swapping broody geese
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 03:36:28 pm »
They may start arguing over them as goslings start making pre-chipping noises, I've known geese come off there own nests when they've heard others pipping.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 04:11:05 pm »
Anything I can do to prevent that or help with it? The first house has looked on a couple times but hasn't gone in.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 06:31:59 pm »
Maybe someone else can advise, but all I can think of is to keep an eye on them and seperate when needed and divide at nights just in case. Mesh or pallets?
How long to go?  Got a due date?

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 06:37:15 pm »
Well my geese have made a liar of me. I looked over at them earlier and neither of the mature girls were out. OH checked and they were both in the shed, although only one on the nest. When I went by half an hour later the second goose was back out and the first was sitting again. So it looks like they are swapping.

The eggs are due to hatch on Thursday. I could put hurdles around the shed to keep the other geese out and just have the first goose in with the goslings until they hatch. Just like to give 'mum' as much room to graze and stretch her legs as possible when she gets off the nest.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 08:48:38 pm »
I've had this happen several times.. The goose gets off for a poo and when she goes back in the other goose has stolen her nest. Sometimes the broody goose will make another nest right next to her existing nest and move eggs to the new nest. 

The trouble is that you end up with the eggs getting moved from nest to nest and I've never been sure if they've got cold. Also some eggs get lost in the bedding. In future I'd put food and water in her pen and shut her in.

Have you had goslings before? I think you posted about crows? I'd keep the goslings inside for 3 or 4 weeks just in case, I have a magpie problem here!

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 10:01:12 pm »
Yep, we noticed two missing geese and looked in, sure enough they are now both sitting on the nest!

The main reason we set the eggs is because we couldn't break the 1st goose of her broodiness. We took the eggs away, we destroyed nests, we shut her out of the house, we forcibly pushed her off nests. Her response to all of that was to fight like mad then walk away and immediately start building another nest. I think we had a week maybe 2 before we decided to put 3 eggs in the house and see what she does. We figured we can manage 3 goslings, Xmas dinner for us and maybe a couple of friends, if not some roast goose feasts! The main aim was to get her to stop sitting in 5 weeks time. I just hope that if the hatch does go wrong she does stop sitting.

Yeah we have a pair of breeding crows here who make a mess (pulled some intestines out of the sheep water today - joy). I'm not sure I will be able to keep the goslings in though. I could put a hurdle in front of the door to shed, but it isn't a huge one and I think it would be pretty manky after even a week. We have a gander and another young goose as well as the two mums so I am hoping that they will keep an eye. Although the sheep water regularly gets bits of animals in it the geese water is always free. In fact I've seen no scraps at all in the goose field. I have seen the crows land once or twice but the young goose gives them a good sending off!

4 days to hatch day so I guess we wait and see what happens now. I must say it's a bit cheeky of goose #2. She's not laid a single egg all year, and has now jumped on the nest for the last week of incubating where as goose #1 has been laying really well and sat for 4 weeks, I kind of hope goose #2 doesn't steal #1's glory!

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 02:41:51 am »
Mine are always making nests outside, i know there are foxes about so keep collecting eggs then when they do go broody i break the nests up, poor girls. so when one started sitting in an old broody coop I left her, just about hafl way now,
Another insisted on nesting about 5 strides from her hut, i moved eggs and nest into hut, but she wouldn't sit in there. Shame.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 02:17:44 am »
How did they do Dans?
I think mine were due this w/e, i should have made a note of date, I'm sure she had 4 eggs to start, but only 2 yesterday, and a rather bad smell. She can have till next w/e,

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 11:54:27 pm »
We got one gosling, waited and waited then checked the nest a few days later. 6 eggs there instead of the 2 I was expecting. Looks like the second goose decided to finally come into lay at the end of the season! Waited a few more days and OH saw and egg outside the nest. I went to get it but it to candle but it was gone, figured they had tucked it back in.

Next day all the geese were off the nest and didn't protest me approaching it. Had a dig and 4 eggs. I guess the other 2 I had set were not viable and the geese got rid of them. Our broody goose (now only the original broody sitting) wasn't looking in the best shape so we took the eggs away and popped them in our little Brinsea Mini Eco. I was surprised they fit and a week later we candled and at least 3 have movement. Not entirely sure how we work out the humidity in there but I'm crossing fingers.

The lone gosling seems to be doing well though. Keeping my fingers crossed for it.

Hope all goes well with your hatch.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 12:45:18 am »
She had left the nest tonight, she was in the main hut, eggs were cold so I gave each one a gentle shake, just a sloshing sound, she did seem to want to go back in after she'd eaten some food, but didn't object when I sent her back in with the others.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS