Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WANTED , SOAY SHEEP, NEWCASTLE  (Read 4160 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: WANTED , SOAY SHEEP, NEWCASTLE
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 05:52:30 pm »
There will be a slaughter and butchery cost, which could work out quite expensive per kilo for a very small breed.

dave338

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 09:22:50 pm »
Hi ,
In total ive got 50 acres, but 10 are close to the house, would only use them to up numbers if there was a unique selling point /market etc ,
Not doing this for commercial gain , really its just for the simple pleasure and producing quality meat for the family ,
As for slaughter, I was going to do it my self , I  am a keen deer stalker and  shoot and process , around 90 carcasses a year

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 05:19:40 pm »
Have you thought about Castlemilk Moorits? Bigger than a Soay, with superb meat and less likely to jump over fences. Most are OK to handle- just the odd one can be a bit skittish. Some have the shedding gene, so if you were able to select these they will mostly moult their fleece naturally.

dave338

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 04:24:55 pm »
To be honest ive been a bit blinkered since i saw the soay , their  size , shedding and "wildness" are what is attractive ,
Next farm to me have the welsh black sheep , they seem very popular around here, the soay are just that bit more unusuall, But i will have a look at the Castlemilk Moorits,
Had some great tips and ideas from everyone on here.  :thumbsup:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 04:40:33 pm »
Mmmmm mm wild, clever and crafty. :sheep:

Don't like mine at the moment. They need to be caught for rooing, heptavac etc etc and will not play ball.

They've even worked out that the long rope closes the gate behind them!!!

So, what do I do now?! ???

'Wild' can be 'difficult'!  ::)

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS