Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: whitefly HELP!!!!!!  (Read 2256 times)

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
whitefly HELP!!!!!!
« on: July 02, 2010, 12:23:23 pm »
Just lifted the net off to weed my cabbages and I've disturbed CLOUDS of whitefly!   >:( Please can anyone suggest the best way to get rid of these blasted mites or at least reduce the population slightly!!!!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: whitefly HELP!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 01:14:21 pm »
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=4&cat=8&id_product=106

that site may be of some help. I have also used sticky fly papers to good effect. But never had a really bad case so not had to worry about them too much .

cheers

Russ

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 01:14:54 pm »
I just found them, too, on my peppers...
I recall from ages ago to use natural soap in solution to spray. I'll try that as I can't afford the method on the link...
any other suggestions welcome! :&>

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 09:09:17 am »
Had them in our grenhouse last year. Placed some cut lavender around the affected plants, peppers, aubergines and squash if I remember. Whitefly were gone in a day or two.

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 01:17:29 pm »
I had them on my chilli plants in the greenhouse and used the soap solution in a fine spray, seems to have worked.
JD

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 11:25:52 am »
I had a problem with whitefly on my broccoli this year so I found a recipe on the internet.  1/2 cup of sunflower oil mixed with a tablespoon of washing liquid then add NO MORE than 3 tablespoons of that mixture to a cup of water and spray on plants ( something like that ).  I was hungover, mixed ALL the oil with a cup of water and sprayed it on the plants on pretty much the hottest day of the year.  Needless to say I now have an empty veg section with just some shrivelled burnt remains  >:( 

Its always two steps forward, one step back though.  I have used hanging CDs to scare off the pigeons for the first time this year and they really do work.  Next year I'll be ready!  Bring on the pests, are you feeling lucky punks?!! ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 12:04:36 pm »
Oh no oink, what a disaster  :(  That sun is a dangerous thing  :o  At least you got rid of the whitefly  ;D :D Seriously though, the great thing with growing is that there's always a next time. 
I once got all excited because my Dad had swarms of whitefly on his brassicas.  He just said that they wouldn't do much harm and left them to the natural predators and sure enough they all went and didn't appear to damage the plants.  That's not much help in a tunnel or greenhouse though where they can take over and reach plague proportions.  I wonder if a piece card covered with a thin layer of sticky grease would work like those yellow sticky traps.  I hate the yellow ones as they always catch the predators too and it's impssible to unstick a hoverfly or bee.  If you held the greased card above the plant then shook it you might catch a fair number when they jumped up in a cloud.  I haven't tried it as, fingers crossed, I don't have whitefly. The natural deterrent is French Marigolds which have a strong smell which apparently the white flies don't like.  I do grow plenty of those in my polytunnel and I don't have whitefly, but then I don't have tigers either  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS