Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It's been asked before but.....  (Read 1879 times)

teresawebb62

• Joined May 2017
It's been asked before but.....
« on: June 26, 2017, 09:37:29 pm »
I know the general consensus is that a smallholding doesn't really pay and is mainly done for the love of it but if you didn't have a mortgage to pay does that make it more feasible?
Obviously you wouldn't have such a huge chunk of money going out so in theory it should be more achievable shouldn't it? :-\
We would love to do a smallholding and we could be reasonably mortgage free but reading articles etc seems to make it an impossible dream  :-[

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: It's been asked before but.....
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:08:42 am »
I'm confused! What is the "it", you're asking about?

Most things in life become easier if you don't have a mortgage to pay!

I think the impossible dream is buying land and making it pay for itself (and you) as a business investment. Even then, some people have managed to do that - it's just incredibly hard work, and very risky. That doesn't sound like what you're thinking about though Teresa. So, can you give us any more details?  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:13:46 am »
I get what your asking, I think :thinking:

Not having a mortgage would make life easier, I am looking to downsize so I can be mortgage free.

I currently have 3 acres, but I can't afford to use the land, to its full potential, as I don't have the capital to invest in making the changes in order for it to be used to maximise its potential as a small holding.

It also depends on what your idea of a small holding is, do you want to be as self sufficient as possible, rearing you own meat, growing fruit and veg?

If I sell my place, ideally from the equity in my house, I would like to by another, smaller house with land and invest in the set up that I want from the beginning, so I can truly enjoy being a small holder rather than, at the moment, everything being a bit of a upward struggle.

My dilemma at the moment is even although it is summer, I am already starting to think about preparing for the winter. Every summer, I think what do I need to do/ change/ make/ prepare in order for the winter to be easier than the previous. But as I am up for sale, ideally I don't want to be here in the winter so I am not investing financially or physically which I will deeply regret if I am still here in November.

But on the positive...

there is something very satisfying about eating your own produce.

It's absolutely  :gloomy: chucking down outside and I need to go and get the waterproofs on to feed the animals but I don't mind getting soaking wet for that but if I was going into the office with a skirt and heels on, I would hate to be out in the rain.  I no longer smell of coco channel opting for the whiff of sh*t, and you should see the state of my hair, it's no longer straightened to death and it's a frizzy mop but I love that carefreeness and my goats don't have an opinion on my hair style.

So in that respect life is simple and good, my days of being in the materialistic, judgemental, rat race are long gone!

So to sum up my small holder experience, financially, for me, it doesn't pay , but health and lifestyle choice, I am happier and healthier, and you can't put a price on that,  :thumbsup:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 08:14:29 am »
I think moj has hit the nail on the head - we moved to scotland to a smallholding that we bought mortgage free. I doubt if we could do it if we had a mortgage. The smallholding dream is often just that - a dream. The reality is very different. Wherever yougo you will experience many challenges especially if you include animals in the mix. What you save on a mortgage you can easily spend on vets bills, insurances, machinery and their maintenance, feed bills, contractors etc etc. We have had several setbacks including a barn being brought down by snow, neighbours from hell, pests eating my veg garden ( different pests every year!!) Animal deaths ....... however

we wouldn't change anything, we love all our animals whatever challenges they throw at us, the insurance paid for a new barn, the nasty neighbours moved away. Its a long term thing so I would advise that you get full backing from your nearest and dearest, don't expect to make money, keep positive. Keep an eye on this forum, the advice given is from people who have experience - most of all enjoy!!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 10:03:09 am »

It's absolutely  :gloomy: chucking down outside and I need to go and get the waterproofs on to feed the animals but I don't mind getting soaking wet for that but if I was going into the office with a skirt and heels on, I would hate to be out in the rain.  I no longer smell of coco channel opting for the whiff of sh*t, and you should see the state of my hair, it's no longer straightened to death and it's a frizzy mop but I love that carefreeness and my goats don't have an opinion on my hair style.

So in that respect life is simple and good, my days of being in the materialistic, judgemental, rat race are long gone!

So to sum up my small holder experience, financially, for me, it doesn't pay , but health and lifestyle choice, I am happier and healthier, and you can't put a price on that,  :thumbsup:

This  ^   Smallholding , profitable or not is a mindset, I don't need to impress anyone with skirts and heels or fancy perfume , my cow orkers  accept I may smell of goats  pigs chicken ,and some times covered with grease , or worse ! But producing our own fruit , veg , milk and meat sure beats queuing in the supermarket for rubbish food.

Teresawebb1

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 08:04:55 pm »
Thank you everyone for your replies  i really appreciate it and you've made some interesting points. We will definitely look into a smallholding some more

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS