Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red Poll off to slaughter next week - arghh  (Read 2926 times)

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
Red Poll off to slaughter next week - arghh
« on: May 31, 2017, 10:59:31 am »
Ok, I've taken the plunge and booked our first bullock into the abattoir next Thursday.

He's just coming up to 24 months and is a pedigree Redpoll, now for the daft question -

How much approximately will his dead weight be? and can anyone give me some advice of choice of cutting etc.

I know the answer will be "loads and loads" of meat ! but the cost is £75 plus 40p/kg so just wondering how mush roughly that will work out at.

Thank you and if anyone is in Cumbria and wants some fresh Red Poll please get in contact.
So many ideas, not enough hours

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Red Poll off to slaughter next week - arghh
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 01:19:49 pm »
I had a 29 month Jersey heifer butchered.  She was just under 200 kgs deadweight, and I got just under 120kgs meat back. 

Our butcher liked his bullocks well under 350kgs deadweight, so I'd guess your Red Poll might be somewhere in the 250-300kgs deadweight range.  You should get back a higher proportion of meat from a Red Poll than I did the Jersey, so perhaps 200kgs meat?  Somewhere along those lines, anyway.

Do you know if the 40p/kg is on the deadweight figure, or on the meat actually returned to you?  Would make a huge difference!  I paid £300 total for the Jersey, including slaughter, but that included vac packing, labelling (with my labels) and packing in boxes (supplied by me, with freezer strips ditto) for my ciustomers. 

The butcher made up 9 x 10kg boxes for me, each had a roasting joint, a pot roast joint, some grilling and some frying steaks, burgers, mince, stewing steak. Then there were 50 burgers on top (we had them at a special event) and a good few joints, quite a bit of mince and stewing steak left over for our own freezer. 

All the joints were 1-2kgs, because that made it easier for the butcher to make up the boxes.  You'll probably want some larger ones than that.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:49:54 pm »
Thank you Sally, plenty of food for thought  :thumbsup:

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 10:23:39 am »
Im sure there are more posts similar to this on here.  I cant remember what ours were. But for cutting you want

500g mince
1kg stewing
Sirloin into steaks
Fillet into steaks
Braising steak 500g
Mix of prime roasting 1kg - 2kg weights
Shin 500g
Depends on whether you want slow roast joints (only a few i'd say) rest cut into diced.
Diced stewing comes up in either prime cuts and rough cuts personally Id rather rough cuts as too good at cooks dry.

Option is to have some bones back
Some fat too.

Hope that helps a little.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 11:01:09 am »
Was wondering what size freezer would you need to store your meat - we have a welsh black x dexter going away soon and I'veordered a 300 litre freezer (iI'll have space in my other freezer too) !!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 11:03:00 am »
We reckon roughly 5kg meat per "normal" freezer drawer, if that helps?

What's the sort of standard breakdown for percentages liveweight, deadweight, butchered meat? We are having a baffled disagreement in the office  :innocent:

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 03:17:46 pm »
Well he's all in the freezers now. I sold 40kg to friends and the rest is filling a 5ft chest freezer, and a 4ft chest freezer, together with some other stuff already in them. I reckon he would probably just about fit in the 5ft one if there was nothing else in there.

Hope that helps.
PS he is delicious and the steaks just melt in the mouth   :excited: :innocent: :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS