Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Homemade Chicken Drinker  (Read 17101 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Homemade Chicken Drinker
« on: July 01, 2010, 04:55:53 pm »
I just thought I’d put up a few photos I took of our homemade chicken waterer, MK2. Now I know this is nothing particularly revolutionary, but given that the equivalent commercial product can cost anything up to £40, I thought I’d share just in case it’s helpful to somebody.

The MK2 is, funnily enough, the successor to the MK1, which was really just a 5 litre bottle with an 8mm hole drilled in the bottom! The bottle  sits in a plastic tray, and due to the effect of a vacuum building in the bottle as the water drains out, the water level magically stays just below the rim of the tray, and tops up automatically as the hens drink:

So, although the MK1 was meant to be a temporary measure until I sorted out something better, in the end it lasted for almost a year, until the MK2 was born!

This was made very easily from an old home-brew pressure barrel, which was being thrown out because the CO2 injector on the lid was broken.

To change it into a chicken waterer, I first removed the CO2 injector, and sealed the hole in the lid with a nut, some penny washers, and a tap washer, and then replaced the original wire handle, which was also broken:

I then unscrewed the tap on the bottom, and fitted a reducing bush from a hose kit into the hole (it’s a standard pipe-thread). I drilled a hole in a copper plumbing plug to act as the water outlet, and then fitted this through a small plastic tub with a hole drilled in it, sealing with rubber washers both sides, before in turn screwing the whole assembly into the barrel.

And there you have it!  A deluxe poultry drinker, for half an hour’s work, and at a cost of less than a pound.

This principle can be followed with any container rigid enough not to collapse under the slight vacuum produced. The small tub is easily cleaned out by running a finger around the inside to dislodge any dirt, followed by pouring a litre of water into it from a height to flush out any debris. Best of all, it only needs to be filled up every couple of weeks, and because it’s black, there aren’t the same issues with algae growing inside as there are with many commercial versions.

All in all, a perfect bit of wombling!!   ;)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:58:14 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
Re: Homemade Chicken Drinker
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:00:00 pm »
That is fab A*  :)

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:03:45 pm »
Brillient!!! Do not see home brew kits in the shops like they used to be...we had one of those barrels once and used to take it +home brew, camping that was in the old day's when I did not drink!!!!!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:43:04 pm »
very industrious... and lovely hens!
Little Blue

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:19:16 pm »
you my friend are a genious  ;D i know what im going to be doing this weekend

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:00:23 pm »
What a great idea! Well done sir.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 02:58:48 am »
Excellent work a Master Womble  8) if ever there was one. Oh and thanks for sharing  ;)

Now flee bay and old vac cider keg searching, maybe I can lick them clean before I start  :yum:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:00:42 am by Cobra »

PhilBen

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Smallholder Directory
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 03:05:18 am »
Great Idea and well worth doing

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 08:14:00 am »
genius!

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 10:35:57 am »
I foresee a spike in kegs prices on Ebay...

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 10:55:59 am »
WE ALSO MADE OUR OWN DRINKER BUT MADE FROM A WATER DISPENSER THE ONE`S U GET IN OFFICES ETC . JUST CUT A SMALL NOTCH IN THE NECK AND PLACED IT IN A WOODEN CAGE ONTO A PLASTIC CUP WORKS GRAT CHICKENS LIKE IT BETTER THAN DRINKER

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 12:14:52 pm »
I have just made one from a 4 pint plastic milk bottle. It works perfectly. Why didn't I think of it before? Thanks, you must be a genius womble

AWP

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 03:11:04 pm »
Womble what a great and simple idea!!, Iv'e just made one with an old 25l container, a margarine tub & a tank connector, once i managed to get the lid to seal (they all seem to have vented lids on now!!) it worked brilliantly, took about 20 mins and will save hours of filling up, Many thanks, Keep your inventions coming!! ::)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 08:47:03 pm »
now there's the beauty in smallholding womble just as its suppost
to be, fantastic.
as allready said keep them ideas coming for the rest of us to be inspired.
langdon ;)  :chook:
Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS