Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Off to a good start !!  (Read 8314 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Off to a good start !!
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 11:06:56 am »
I do get why people with day jobs and small flocks would do this, and I'm glad to hear that it all worked out so well for you, Womble.

I have two concerns about sponging generally.  One is the potential for masking reproductive issues - not really a big problem on the individual flock level, but given that a very large proportion of our rare breeds are kept by just such smallholders as Womble and Mrs Womble, it's a little frisson of a concern.  But if it makes it easier for such folks to keep sheep, it's probably all to the good.  I just hope enough breeders keep on doing it naturally, as well!

The other is about the ewe.  Having read your blog, Womble, I'd suggest that please in future also use copious lube when removing the sponge.  If it's taking a lot of pulling out, like a not-full tampon as alluded to by Mrs Womble, then taking it out without lube could cause some slight damage   :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 12:24:24 pm »
Hi [member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member] , I read your comments previously about potentially masking reproductive issues. Does this still apply if you're doing it at normal tupping time, and not injecting with PMSG?

Re the lube, I'm honestly not sure that would have helped on the way out, but I will try it next year and let you know. I wasn't heaving away by any means, and the ewes didn't seem bothered. The sponges were just tighter than I had expected, and I thought it worthy of note.

I just *know* that at some point somebody is going to surprise me with a mobile phone at the wrong moment, and I'll end up plastered all over Facebook lubing up a sheep  ::) .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 02:28:05 pm »
You shouldn't need lube to pull out the sponge. It has to be reasonably snug otherwise it wouldn't stay in. By the point of pulling it out it is a wet sponge as opposed to the dry one it starts as, even with some lube added

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 10:48:11 pm »
You shouldn't need lube to pull out the sponge. It has to be reasonably snug otherwise it wouldn't stay in. By the point of pulling it out it is a wet sponge as opposed to the dry one it starts as, even with some lube added

Were they wet, Womble?  If so, I'd have expected them to have slithered more than your description suggested... ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 10:50:21 pm »
Hi [member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member] , I read your comments previously about potentially masking reproductive issues. Does this still apply if you're doing it at normal tupping time, and not injecting with PMSG?

Personally, I'd say yes, although of course less so.  You're still using hormones to synchronise ovulation, which I'd have thought could mask any issues with natural ovulation. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS