Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maggots  (Read 2287 times)

Derbyshire Hillbilly

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Derbyshire
Maggots
« on: May 16, 2017, 08:47:42 pm »
Found a couple of my sheep with maggots today, looks like they've only just appeared. My shearer is unavailable with a bad back - just wondering what the best course of action would be until I can find a new one? I've clipped the problem areas right back and put some jayes fluid on which has settled them for the moment. Should I Clik them or just keep a close eye until I find a shearer?
Many thanks!
PS - if anyone knows of a shearer in Derbyshire please let me know :)

Sweatyfarmer

• Joined Sep 2013
Re: Maggots
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:41:44 pm »
Hi, Clik will not help with the maggots that are there as it only stops future eggs hatching. I would use something like crovect pour on in the affected area and then clik after shearing (assuming you are shearing soon)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 11:28:33 pm »
Get to your local agri merchant asap and ask what they recommend for maggots. Lots of products - just choose one and apply. Clik is a preventative not a treatment.  But do it tomorrow - don't waste anymore time, or it could prove fatal.  Ideally they should have had something today.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:09:34 am »
I always use maggot oil, I think the recipie has changed and a lot of people don't rate it but its always worked for me. I'd watch the sheep closley and look for another shearer. If you spray with crovect (which is what I'd use), I'd postpone shearing for at least 4 weeks as its nasty stuff and I don't think your shearer would be impressed

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 09:48:02 am »
Humidity is very high at present.  We put our sheep in the turnover crate on Sunday and found two early outbreaks of maggots (just a few and all the same age - must've been when the sun shone briefly) and our shearer found four more yesterday, although only one lot had started to go in.  If it gets warm after the rain we've had here the fly population will go off the scale.

I always dilute Jeyes Fluid in 20 parts water - it's very harsh to raw flesh.  That dilution will still kill maggots.  Once they have a black dot on them they're goners.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:17:44 am »
Use crovect - but shear it by hand first - no one wants to get that crap on them - makes your head spin

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS