Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bearding bees  (Read 2176 times)

Birchlea

• Joined Jul 2016
  • East Sussex
Bearding bees
« on: May 17, 2017, 01:33:03 pm »
Anyone have any idea why my bees are 'bearding'? The photo was taken after midnight last night so they would usually be tucked up at that time.

Doh! Photo too big to attach. Either way it's just a photo of loads of bees clustered around the hive entrance!
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Bearding bees
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 03:53:47 pm »
I have a friend who has had similar. Could it be an issue with the queen bee?  :thinking:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

BKeeper

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Isle of Man
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:46:25 pm »
Hello Birchlea

There could be a number of reasons for this and it is a question of going through the list:-

1.  It is a preliminary sign of swarming preparation that the bees hang around the hive entrance.  If you have done a seven day inspection you will know whether or not this is the case.

2.  Are the bees short of space?  We have a honey flow on here and check the supers every seven days. It could be that they are getting short of space.

3.  Was it a warm night with you?  The bees will hang out if they need to increase the ventilation. I take it that you have not still got the entrance block still in...... the bee colonies are now coming up to maximum strength.

4.  Finally you have a strain of bees that simply likes hanging out....

We did our seven day inspection today and found one colony making preparations to swarm.  The Snelgrove swarm prevention method was applied. 

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 05:51:35 pm »
usually means that the hive is too hot, so they come out to help cool it. Sounds like lots of bees - are they getting ready to swarm?

Birchlea

• Joined Jul 2016
  • East Sussex
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:38:13 pm »
Thanks all. The entrance block was still in and it was a warm night. The block is removed and They have now settled back in the hive. Thanks for the advice as I am very new to beekeeping.
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS