Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do cats eat slug pellets?  (Read 3844 times)

Kevm

• Joined Apr 2017
Do cats eat slug pellets?
« on: May 16, 2017, 08:55:04 pm »
As title really, not seen any slugs yet but I know they are just waiting for the tiniest bit of leaf to come up and then they will eat it all off   >:(
If I do see evidence of slugs and put pellets down will the cat eat the pellets?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Do cats eat slug pellets?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 12:20:07 am »
Don't use the pellets with Metaldehyde in - they are poisonous to dogs and other animals, so probably cats too.  No-one can predict if your cat will eat them or not.  There are pellets available which are Organically approved, which break down into harmless things such as iron.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:48:54 am »
Hedgehogs will and frequently do eat slug pellets. They are often handed in to rescues in terrible pain and distress after eating them. There is nothing that can be done for them except to PTS to end their misery.

We losing so many hedgehogs in different ways and numbers are really falling.

Please try to find an alternative. I know that it's a problem but it's really important preserve hog numbers.

Are their safe pellets?  I've not looked into it.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:08:04 am »
The answer is yes! And they can become so addicted to them they will actively go searching for them. I don't know about safer pellets as I don't now have cats or use slug pellets (because of hedgehogs)
Beer traps or sharp sand are safer alternatives or, a friend who has large raised beds uses donated wine bottles turned bottom side up and "planted" around the beds!

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 10:52:28 am »
We don't use chemicals here for the garden. We had great success last year with rhubarb leaves. Lay a rhubarb leaf on any visible soil between plants. Lift the leaves every morning and 'harvest' the slugs!
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:53:31 am »
http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p1821/ADVANCED-SLUG-KILLER-575g/product_info.html

This is the slug killer which breaks down into non-toxic products and is approved by Organic bodies.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 02:27:54 pm »
http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p1821/ADVANCED-SLUG-KILLER-575g/product_info.html

This is the slug killer which breaks down into non-toxic products and is approved by Organic bodies.

I tried those years ago (in South London)... ineffective for me.

Kevm

• Joined Apr 2017
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 02:36:14 pm »
I have ordered some of the advanced slug killer (thanks Fleecewife)  and will see if that works, we don't have any hedgehogs here the badgers ate them all.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 02:52:57 pm »

I tried those years ago (in South London)... ineffective for me.

They work here in very very wet Scotland - apparently they work best when damp.  My only slight problem with them is that the voles in our tunnel find them very pretty and collect them all up to line their nests  ::)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 11:33:32 pm »

I've used this since it first came out and it works for me. I'm able to get it in my local garden centre.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS