Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introduction by a British expat in Belgium  (Read 1780 times)

TJHutchison

• Joined May 2017
Introduction by a British expat in Belgium
« on: May 16, 2017, 04:59:31 pm »
Hello all,

I moved to West Flanders in Belgium two years ago and last year took the plunge to buy a house with approximately just over 2/3rds of an acre of attached land in the relative countryside.  I've always been interested in self sufficiency to some degree and although I'm sure I won't give a do or die attempt to achieve 100% non-reliance on outside sources, I would like to work what land I do have to bring myself fulfillment and to feed myself and my partner.  My knowledge is varied; I did a Countryside Management BTEC 10 years ago, I have a Masters and BSc in Ecology and have worked as an arborist for some time so I feel I have the slight basics down. 

The land I purchased came extremely degredated and I have spent the past few months getting it into a reasonable condition however it is the next hurdle I am struggling with as I feel I have too many plans and not enough space!  I am sure in myself that I will not commit to projects without adequete space but there is too much to choose from - and I have to leave 'garden space' for my partner. 

This is my introduction to I'm sure many, many more questions to come.  But firstly; what did everyone else decide to start on first as a small/moderate sized project?  More importantly - are there any other expats here?! 

Thanks!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Introduction by a British expat in Belgium
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:19:03 pm »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 11:21:20 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. Not quite in your position as I only have a large garden but I started with growing vegetables, then put in fruit trees. I have goats in my garden as well.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 07:38:08 am »
Hello and welcome from a dreary Devon!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 07:50:39 am »
Hi TJH and welcome. We're about to move into a place with poor parts of land caused simply by taking hay off it for 19 years and never putting anything back. Expect a years worth of chicken poo will turn things round quite quickly though and then we can think about sheep.

We have a Belgian Estate Agent locally and a lot of Dutch down here. Nobody seems interested in smallholding though?

TJHutchison

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 06:03:10 pm »
Hello all,

Thanks for the introductions, it's nice to find such an engaging place!  My soil is not terribly degredated, the previous owners of the property tore out all the old outbuildings and felled all the trees and proceeded to dig in en masse a light clay base.  Not entirely awful but does rather look alarming post-heavy rain...

Personally speaking and please do correct my bias if I am wrong, but in Belgium I feel 'smallholding' is not something that can be directly translated into Dutch or French and therefore holds no familarity with people.  I see plenty of people whilst about in West Flanders that own sheep or goats and grow their own produce, but without the sense of community one would expect from smallholding.  Maybe it is the same in France?

As much as I would love to rush out and dive into the dream, I've reluctantly (although maybe sensibly) decided to install all the infastructure needed first i.e., refreshing the greenhouse on the property, erecting fences and outbuildings, laying pathways etc.  This means only one thing; a request for help from my old man!

Minnimoo

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 10:59:19 am »
 :excited: Hi there from Galica Spain.  Your plot sounds like a great size to start - it's amazing how much work land takes to begin .  Ours is a similar size although we are just negotiating for a small plot adjacent to ours with a small bodega and wooded area which I'm hoping to clear with a couple of pigs.  Loads of small scales farms around here and also loads of expats from all over europe.  Enjoy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS