Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe with little or no milk.  (Read 2123 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Ewe with little or no milk.
« on: May 09, 2017, 08:33:56 pm »
Hi, I have a ewe that lambed this morning she was very late.
I can get no milk at all from one teat and very little from the other. The ewe is in average condition and she is bagged up and her udders feel normal.

Any ideas thank you.
Graham.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ewe with little or no milk.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 08:55:51 pm »
Jab of OXYTOCIN  , the milk normally comes given time unless the teat on one side is blocked , you just have to feed the lamb until the milk comes

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 08:32:57 am »
Yes, get the vet to give you a jab and the milk should flow out if she has any. Have the lambs been sucking at all? Sometimes the colostrum is so think its hard to milk out by hand. I'd leave them together and wait and see how the lambs look in 6 hrs.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 09:18:30 am »
Is she a first-timer?  They sometimes take a bit longer to get going.  I've not used oxytocin but just top up for a day or so.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 09:09:06 am »
Hi thanks for the replies, the lamb is now three days old refusing a bottle,but she is showing no signs of distress and is standing normally not bleeting,so I can only presume she is getting enough from the ewe. But will keep a close eye.

Thanks.
Graham.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 06:57:03 pm »
When she gets up, or if you lift her up from lying down, she should stretch.   If you lift her up and hold her so her back is against you and her back legs dangle down in front of you and you put the flat of your hand on her belly between the navel and pelvis she should feel reasonably full.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 11:37:03 am »
Thanks i will try this ,i am always wondering if they are getting enough

Graham.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS