Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greenhouse in Part Shade  (Read 4469 times)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Greenhouse in Part Shade
« on: May 12, 2017, 08:40:39 am »
Hi - I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice regarding our greenhouse.  We moved to our present house just last year and the former owners left their greenhouse for us.  I'm growing some tomatoes and chillies in there and they seem to be doing well - so far.  However, it gets belting sun until about 2pm when the surrounding trees shade it off.  Will the toms etc be ok with this?  I was also going to put some raised beds outside to put our french beans and sweet peas in - this area gets the same light. Would they grow here ok?  There is no question of cutting the trees down!  Any advice appreciated.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Greenhouse in Part Shade
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 02:36:56 pm »
Most veggies grown in greenhouses UK are going to be sunlovers.. it's not the amount of sun it's the heat - or better put the lack of ventilation - that might fry your crops. Sure, if you're growing partial shade plants than you need to cut the light down but otherwise it's best not to. To imporve ventilation/cooling either add more vents both top and bottom to get a through airflow..or install a decent fan.

I do admit to having sited my greenhouse such that it gets sme shade summertime from around noon. It was a choice dictated by local georgaphy but with summer high sun the shading isn't too significant and my toms and peppers do fine. If when the trees do grow too big then I'll top them or the other alternative is to get creative with garden mirrors or some reflective surface (a white fence behind for instance).

See how it goes before making work for yourself

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 03:06:44 pm »
I do remember reading that anything in the sun for 6 hours plus a day is classed as full sun. Sun till 2 pm will be fine for toms in greenhouse and beans outside.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 05:32:30 pm »
I think they will be fine. In fact, some shade from the sun during the hottest part of the day will probably be quite useful. They are less likely to be overheated. I used to have a neighbour who put shade netting on one side of his greenhouse to create the same effect. :) 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS