Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When can my runner ducklings go outside?  (Read 2814 times)

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
When can my runner ducklings go outside?
« on: May 06, 2017, 08:17:18 pm »
Hi, I have 4 3-week old runner ducks, they currently live in a dog cage  in the house. On days when I am home and the weather is ok the tray comes out heir cage, it becomes a run and they spend the day outside on the grass (with their heat plate). What age can they go outside permanently -assuming they still have a heat plate and a secure house attached to a secure run? I have read 10 - 12  weeks, but is that without a heat source?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: When can my runner ducklings go outside?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:10:44 am »
They ought to be fully feathered so 8-10 weeks is probably about right. When they still have that very soft duckling down it doesn't insulate them and they can get very cold. If they have a heat source they could probably go out sooner, 5-6 weeks maybe?

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 12:09:13 pm »
Our ducklings go out about 5 - 6 weeks off the heat. I wouldnt do it for ducklings in winter but from march onwards its always been fine for us.

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:26:43 am »
Thanks both, it's no problem for them to have their heat plate outside so sounds like 5-6 weeks should be fine

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS