Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly Ram  (Read 4249 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Poorly Ram
« on: May 09, 2017, 07:36:42 am »
had the vet out yesterday, he's got laryngitis causing a bit of bloat, she relieved the bloat by inserting a needle, gave him a shot of steroids, alamycin and buscopan, hoping he'd be brighter this morning but he's not, he's just standing, heavy breathing, head down, snotty nose, is there anything I can do? Should I be getting fluids down him, glucose or anything to help get him moving and eating?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Poorly Ram
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 08:15:46 am »
When they stand like that its usually because they can't breath if they lie down. It sounds to me like it could be Pneumonia. I'd get the vet back out ASAP. I had a goat with the same a few years ago, we gave antibiotics and 24hrs to improve but she didn't make it through the night. Sorry to be so alarminst :(

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 08:56:57 am »
Vet again.  :fc:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:05:19 am »
Moving and eating are not his top priorities at the moment, extra stress is best avoided so don't force the issue. Phone your vet who has seen him for advice

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 11:29:17 am »
Thanks everyone, I'm now waiting on the vet, but he's got much worse I'm sad to say.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 11:33:53 am »
Has he bloated again?  They can really struggle to breathe when bloated but once gas gone he'd be easier again  :fc:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 11:40:04 am »
It's hard to say as he's laying on his underside its pushing his tummy up? He looks much much worse than this morning.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 12:08:56 pm »
What breed?  Texels suffer from Texel Throat.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 12:15:04 pm »
Beltex with a tiny bit of texel, vet should be here soon, he's back on his feet, my hopes are up!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 01:14:39 pm »
Vet has just left, he's had another shot of steroid and a different antibiotic, fingers crossed for him now.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 10:02:45 pm »
Texel throat is basically laryngitis and that's what he's been treated for- steroids and ab's.  Some say ts inherited, some say no proof of this.  They can recover, or not.  Don't be tempted to give coarse mix to pep him up because it can stick in the infected area and make it worse.  We had one last year who made a full recovery so hope your's ends the same. Good luck.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 10:52:39 pm »
Thank you, unfortunately he died this afternoon, I'm gutted we couldn't save him.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 06:05:56 am »
:hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 06:56:17 am »
Sorry to hear he didn't make it.. I don't think you could of done any more for him tho :(

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 09:28:37 am »
Texel Throat is laryngeal chondritis.  The Beltex is not a true separate breed, just Texel from Belgium.  If you go to the ram sales at Builth you'll hear a fair number of Texels puffing their socks off.  I personally wouldn't take one home if they paid me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS