Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone made fencing like this? For horses & Sheep  (Read 3878 times)

LeanneR88

• Joined Jan 2014
Anyone made fencing like this? For horses & Sheep
« on: May 08, 2017, 11:13:03 am »
Anyone done fencing like the attached picture? 

Wondering how good it is? Also does it work out cheaper? Would be looking to do about 4 acres and split into paddocks, I know it will take a lot of time but trying to do up croft on a budget (if that's even possible :P)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Anyone made fencing like this? For horses & Sheep
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 02:38:29 pm »
I did my first fences like this but the horses broke the top rails leaning over them.  I now have a line of plain wire between the two to raise the top rail and an electric wire along the top of the rail.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 03:53:22 pm »
I had this put up 10 years ago and stock fencing is still very tight and does well for the sheep, but the horse has knocked a few of the rails off.  That has only happened in the last couple of years though.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 04:26:35 pm »
I would have a stock fence put in with barbed on the top and then run an electric fence 1.5 metres in. The sheep duck under it and it keeps the horses off the stock fence. One of my horses used to wreck my stock fencing by pawing at it..

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 06:03:45 pm »
Is it not basically a stock fence with a top rail rather than wire? Any type of fencing will last longer if put in professionally or at the very least with a post knocker and properly tensioned. I would just use plain wire along the top. Barbed wire and horses are not a good mix. You could use electric fence to split the paddock.

xenedra

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 06:34:53 pm »
It's tornado horse wire fencing and it's brilliant. It's not the same as normal stock fencing as it's designed to prevent hooves getting through it. It's generally cheaper to erect than timber post and rail, and much easier and cheaper to maintain as there's less wood to break/rot. If you have a top rail it's best to run some stand off electric tape across it to prevent it from being chewed or leaned on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS