Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly lamb difficulty standing  (Read 3141 times)

Smee

• Joined Oct 2014
Poorly lamb difficulty standing
« on: May 08, 2017, 08:51:33 am »
We are helping our neighbour with bottle feeding some of his pet lambs (I'm a soft touch I know!) they are all doing pretty well apart from one that was found up on the hills without his mum. He must have been a good couple of weeks old and a big lamb so was doing alright up till then. He was pretty hungry and we thought he was just weak from lack of food as he had difficulty standing for long. Well we've been feeding him up but the leg weakness thing seems to continue to affect him, one day he's limping on backleg, another day front leg. He's had AB's and a mineral drench, but I'm racking my brains as to what else to try with him. He toddles around after the others but just mostly lies down as its all too much for him. I did think Joint Ill but the AB's should have sorted anything like that out. They are out in the sun during the day and back in shed at night. Any ideas??? ???

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Poorly lamb difficulty standing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 09:26:17 am »
I'd consult a vet - if Betamox and Metacam aren't doing the job there may be something else going on - selenium deficiency perhaps (white muscle disease) or erysipelas (which is associated mostly with pigs but is also elsewhere in the environment).  Have you taken his temperature? 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 10:15:12 am »
Delayed swayback, as in copper deficiency would be my thinking - so a mineral drench containing copper may help. Depends on what type of sheep you have and how much copper they can tolerate.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 10:18:42 am »
Joint ill unless caught early can damage joints beyond repair. You really need to hit it hard with a prolonged course of Synulox or similar, but once it's damaged the joint the animal will always be lame on it, leading to arthritis (and then you need to decide if it's kinder to put down). Or as others have said white muscle disease could be a possibility- try a couple of jabs of vitesel from your vet, but again the prognosis isn't good (we lost a pet lamb last year to it, put her down in the end at about 9 weeks old).

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 11:35:02 am »
Delayed swayback, as in copper deficiency would be my thinking - so a mineral drench containing copper may help. Depends on what type of sheep you have and how much copper they can tolerate.
Swayback generally presents as just that - the back end of the lamb from the hips back will sway about and flop to one side or the other, with general lack co-ordination.  It gets worse as the lamb gets heavier and looks quite different to limping.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 12:13:23 pm »
selenium deficiency?  it could be a number of things - pop him down the vets, as I doubt he's going to get better without any intervention.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:59:38 pm by Foobar »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 12:28:07 pm »
Tick pyaemia / louping ill / fever  ?  it may have abcesses on its internal organs

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 01:46:19 pm »
You can buy vet B12 jab worth a go.  If you have given vit drench then it may take a few weeks to show signs.  Pop some yogurt in the milk and keep the gut health going. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS