Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weird chicken poo?  (Read 3426 times)

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
Weird chicken poo?
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:10:44 am »
Hi All,
I wonder if you could assist please? I've had my girls for almost 3 weeks and seem to learn something daily. I have four Orpingtons & this morning one of them came out of the coop as normal, had a walk around & then did what can only be described as an explosive poo. The watery liquid shot out with a sound like a fart (sorry). The resulting liquid (and it was mostly liquid was greenish.
Other than this she seems like herself and it's early in the day so I don't know if she's going to be doing that all day.
I'll be at work all day so am a bit worried that I can't stay home ad keep an eye on her  :-[

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated, Thanks.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Weird chicken poo?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:25:35 am »
Hi welcome.  If you do a search on the chicken area I am sure you will find loads of answers.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:28:57 am »
I don't think you have anything to concern yourself over. I often see my lot including the ducks and geese make the biggest explosion and they are always fine afterwards. I just put it down to them havong a dodgy curry the night before. :P ::)

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 06:26:26 pm »
Thanks HilarysMum and James,  :wave:
Dodgy curry indeed! She seems fine, although they all seem to be off their pellets...maybe just the heat....? They still came running up when I got home ready for their corn. I haven't given any as I think they should eat their main course before their treat!  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 07:50:07 pm »
OUrs are definitely eating less, and even the pigs are not so demanding in this heat. 

supersean

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 09:07:40 pm »
i notice the layer pellets is the least thing our hens will eat if there is anything else they will go for it first,

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 09:20:41 am »
Have you tried cooked pasta?  Raw greens especially cabbage, any ?old cheese? (not sure thats allowed over there )

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 07:16:29 pm »
Hi. I've not tried cooked pasta yet - I'm sure I will. Yesterday the silly things were all bedraggled in the rain (as they were too daft to go back into the shed!) & their pellets had got wet & were a stodgy clump (another lesson learned). They looked so sorry for themselves that I mixed up some oats with hot water added milk to cool it & a little honey & gave it to them warm. They loved it - much to the amusment of my son who thought I was mad making porridge for the chooks!  :D
Sorry all, but I have another question. I only have 4 hens - no cockerel & one of the hens keeps on sitting on the eggs. She doesn't want to move although isn't at all nasty to me when I do move her to get the eggs. Is it normal for them to do this? I mean, Gertie doesn't know that they're unfertilised does she..... :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:21:40 pm »
No she doesn't know, she is broody.  You could utilise that by getting her some fertile eggs if you wanted to increase your numbers but you might end up with cockerels.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 09:29:46 am »
You could utilise that by getting her some fertile eggs if you wanted to increase your numbers but you might end up with cockerels.

Then not only would you have great eggs but super tasting chicken too (well in about 20 weeks time)

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 08:42:26 pm »
I'm not sure I'm up to that yet being a novice.... :-\    I know that I should be prepared to eat them but I'm not quite ready yet..... :chook: I justkeep on taking the egg/s that she's sitting on & hope she gets over it!
Sue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 06:56:30 am »
I can eat birds that I have bought in as day old chicks but cant eat anything that has hatched here.   ???

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 10:35:57 pm »
Hi HillarysMum What breed do you buy as one day olds? I just finnished the last of ten white farm rangers. A breed that I wont be having again. ok they are for the oven and had a very comfortable life, the rate of growth just isnt rite. Can you or anyone else? advise me of a pure strain that I can use as requiered. Ive been told that marans give you the best of both world, for eggs and table.

Craig
Craig

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 08:05:49 am »
Hi can you get coucou de rennes (sorry spelling) ?  They are a great dual purpose, otherwise Rhode Island Reds?

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 11:46:27 am »
coucou de rennes? that sounds like a nice perfume, rhode island will be just fine, though will need to wait till I have more space, thanks

Craig
Craig

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS