Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dogs maintenance costs?  (Read 5510 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Dogs maintenance costs?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 11:05:20 am »
All dogs need regular exercise, not just being allowed to do their own thing in a space, even a large space, but being taken for walks.  Different breeds need differing amounts of exercise.  Some breeds need mental stimulation too.  (Notably Border Collies.)

The (UK) Kennel Club website has good info on all breeds, including how much exercise, grooming, etc, they need. I think they have a questionaire thingy too, 'What dog would suit me?' 

You can keep even a large dog in an apartment, provided you have the time, energy and inclination to give it the exercise it needs.  Or choose a breed that doesn't need a great deal of exercise - match its needs to your capability and preferences is the key.

I can't think of any breed which would be both happy and safe (both it and the birds) in 1/2 acre all day alone with hens and geese, whilst simultaneously being a deterrent to a fox.  Sorry.  Not to mention, as others have said, that the enclosure needs to be dog escape proof and would therefore then be fox proof.  If a fox could get in then a dog could get out.

I could be wrong, but I wonder whether your wife's (very understandable) desire to protect the birds is being used as a cover, almost, to get you a dog, to which she's previously been anti.  Perhaps it would be better to work on her fear of dogs, so that she is able to accept a family dog, as you would like, and use fencing to protect the birds?  I used to have the most lovely natured GSDx, who was wonderful at helping people overcome their fear of dogs.  He was such a love.  Lots of people commented that they'd been scared of dogs until they met Moses.  :love: :dog:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 11:32:31 am »
I can understand anyone wanting a dog. Importance is trying to find the right dog to suit accommodation, lifestyle,etc.

Maybe as a family you could visit dog shows, dog training classes etc and talk to breeders and meet lots of different dogs. See how you all feel about dogs in general.

Would your wife be happy to visit your land with a dog kept there?

If you were ill, who would visit, feed and exercise your dog?

1/2 acre isn't a large area. My fear would be that the dog would get bored and frustrated. How close is your land to other properties? Would it cause problems if your dog started barking constantly?

You'd need really good fencing. Don't forget they can dig out as well as jump out.

Just seems that it isn't a good match.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 11:47:35 am »
My fencing is goat proof (trust me... spent ages doing it and goats have tested it) but fox somehow still gets in. I saw it jumping over the 7 foot fence and climb to the chicken coop over the roof!
I spend hours every single day outside in the paddocks. I walk the goats on leash to the allotment, which is over the fence. I would spend lots of time with the dog too.
When we go out for the weekend I could take the dog with us - can't do that with goats.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 12:23:11 pm »
Well, seeing that you have a breed in mind, I think if I were you I would contact the breed society if there is one and speak to people who know and love the breed. Not to people wanting to sell pups but to the society.

They will hopefully speak to you about the dogs needs and the suitability of the breed to the life you are able to offer.

I think I would be concerned if I'd had the responses back that you've had on this forum so maybe your next move is to gain more expert knowledge from people who really know and understand the breeds needs.
 :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 12:44:21 pm »
When we go out for the weekend I could take the dog with us.

So that's when the fox would strike. 

I feel for you :hug:.  I know what it's like to want a dog (or other specific animal) and to be prevented from having one.  But to me, it sounds like you need to find a way to have a lovely - and suitable - family pet, and to find a way to protect your birds from the fox when you are not around.  Two separate things.  I wish you luck working it out, and hope very much to be seeing pictures of your lovely dog in due course  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 03:50:04 pm »
No worries
But don't people keep dogs in tiny apartments? And they do pretty well?
How much space do you think would be appropriate? What sort of lifestyle would be the best for a dog? Again I'm just asking...

People *can* keep *some* breeds happily in apartments. Thing is, those breeds are generally toy breeds - not working ones. And even allowing for going to work, the owner tends to be in with the dog most of the time. Company is the critical welfare thing here.
And nobody is being rude.

If you were thinking of a livestock-friendly pet dog, that would live in the house with you as normal, that would pee around the place and maybe dissuade predators - that's great! Do some research and read about training, and go for it. Although wasn't someone in your family scared of dogs?
But for what you seem to want to do - bad plan.

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 05:33:22 pm »
I'll give my 2 cents as to the questions you asked and the situation. We have a greyhound (so a pretty big dog).

She has 3 mugs of kibble and 1/2 can of wet food a day (+a raw chicken wing). We buy cheaper food so it's probably about £1 a day in food. She is insured which is about £20 a month I think and she is also on a scheme with the vets whereby we pay £12 a month and get all her flea/wormer/injection/annual checks ups for free. As an ex racer, our hound is very happy being left all day; but this is in the house where it's warm and dry. She would hate to be out or kennelled when the weather is bad.

Some dogs aren't people oriantated and are happy to be left but (and a big but) you will struggle to find a dog that is also good at guarding birds, stays out of trouble and will chase off foxes....... sorry but I think you may need to rethink and get a house dog that goes down to the land with you.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 09:04:04 pm »
No worries
But don't people keep dogs in tiny apartments? And they do pretty well?
How much space do you think would be appropriate? What sort of lifestyle would be the best for a dog? Again I'm just asking...
NO!  They do not do very well.  A small toy breed might but not a working breed.

If you get a dog you have to want it for a very good reason.

For working on your smallholding/croft - but it still has needs (and believe it or not emotions.) 
For a companion

Preferably both

A dog needs good food certainly and that will depend on the breed and size as has been said before.  In addition it will need vaccinations, and vet attendance if ill. 

A dog needs company.  It is cruel to put a dog out in a field no matter how big, and only put food out for it twice a day or walk it round your smallholding once a day.

Think very carfeully about unusual or rare breeds.  They are not tried and tested in our climate and terrain.  Some working breeds are very aggressive to humans, albeit protecting their own herd

I agree that if you are putting up a fence to keep the dog in you are negating the reason for getting one.

Get a dog if it is to be a welcome companion to your family, and teach it to help look after your other animals as a bonus.  But don't do it the other way round.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS