Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how old or at what size do pigs go for processing?  (Read 2520 times)

hot hog

• Joined Mar 2010
how old or at what size do pigs go for processing?
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:54:36 pm »
i could do with knowing asap please

GOS

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: how old or at what size do pigs go for processing?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:19:37 am »
Hi,
A lot depends on whether you want them for pork or bacon.  Obviously if you want bacon then you grow them on to quite a big size (over 75kgs dead weight) but ours generally go for pork and our butcher likes a dead weight between 55-65kgs.  Our pure pedigree old spots normally reach this weight around 26 weeks of age, but your question obviously depends on the breed of pig and what type of feed you give them (i.e the protein levels etc)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:40:07 am »
We have GOS too and our porkers go at 24wks or when a tape measure around the chest reads 40" (i'm too old to do metric!) baconers go much later approx 8 - 9 mths old and 45"+ around the chest.
Not very scientific i know but it works for us.
You can read more about this part of pig keeping by checking out the GOS website 'getting started section'
www.oldspots.org.uk
HTH
Mandy

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:14:05 am »
I'd also check with the abbetior where they'll be going. Ours isn't happy with 'big' pigs  ::) only taking baconers !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS