Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dagging or Crutching - Dagging Shears or Clippers  (Read 3903 times)

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
Dagging or Crutching - Dagging Shears or Clippers
« on: April 27, 2017, 11:36:13 am »
Thoughts please.

With fly in mind I'm looking to either dag or crutch our girls - crutching seems the more thorough option than just snipping lightly away around the back end - or have I misunderstood the terminology?

The thought of sharp pointed implements in a novices hand crutching out is a tad un-nerving so I'm thinking of purchasing some cordless shears for precisely this purpose - the Masterclip Cordless model has caught my eye.

http://www.masterclip.co.uk/product-range/product/sheep-shears-hd-roamer-cordless-sheep-shearing-machine?gclid=CLzJzsC0xNMCFUO3GwodShEPig

Does anyone have these and if so would they recommend? Or is there anything else you would be happy to recommend? Ease of use is the key thing in my mind.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Dagging or Crutching - Dagging Shears or Clippers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:00:58 pm »
If they've mucky back ends because of new grass then clip away the gunk.  Get someone to hold them still, and lift the tail then check out exactly where vulva, anus and teats are located and angle the shears just below the muck.  You don't have to remove all the wool, just the mucky bits.  You can also get someone to turn them - be extra careful to check out the position of anus and vulva before you start snipping.   If they're dry you could fill an old washing up liquid bottle with 10% Jeyes fluid and 90% water and squirt it around the tail area afterwards to disguise the smell of stale urine and small bits of muck, although it will wash off if it rains hard.  Shearers don't mind Jeyes fluid but they do Clik or Crovect (quite rightly).

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 12:45:08 pm »
JAKOTI  hand shears , you say you want simplicity and don't want pointy bits , the clipper has 13 pointy bits , you have to set it correctly and have the comb and cutter sharpened  , Jakoti has no pointy ends their rounded

SuffolkK

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 01:59:56 pm »
I have just brought these clipper as I wanted them for crutching but also for ease of use as I will be doing them probably on my own. I am going to be using this evening (I have 25 to do) so will post later to let you know how I got on. ;)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 03:28:00 pm »
My best buys last year were a trimming stand and some Jakoti shears.  I have Zwartbles, who are not small sheep, but lifting them up 22" with the stand allows this old end of middle aged lady do 22 sheep, including 4 rams without many swear words at all.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 04:00:12 pm »
I bought Jakoti shears last year and totally love them... used for crutching and we even did a half decent job hand shearing a ewe lamb in the autumn too (started out crutching then got a bit carried away!  :roflanim: )

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 07:02:10 am »
SuffolkK hope all went to plan - very interested to know how you got on please let me know.

The Jakoti shears seem to be very popular so will definitely have a look at these.

I will say the tidying up is all proactive, although the girls are on fresh grass it is un-grazed and so hopefully low worm burden - to be confirmed by FEC sometime over the next 10 days. We have no mucky bums at present (long may that last) but wanted to clear the back ends prior to Crovect going on.

Any other comments most welcome

SuffolkK

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 08:13:13 am »
ZacB - I can highly recommend them!! It took about 30 minutes to do 25 suffolks and Suffolk mules. I must admit I wouldn't want to use them all day but they are one of the best things I have brought. I was amazed that we had a couple with a few maggots!!! They weren't showing any real signs until we started clipping but they are now all dagged.  We will be shearing in the next few weeks so until then I cannot apply Crovect. If you do decide to get them the service I got from Masterclip was fantastic. I ordered them at 9am on Monday and they were delivered by 10am on Tuesday and no delivery charge. Best of luck with what you decide.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS