Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling up, what would you do  (Read 2191 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Selling up, what would you do
« on: April 26, 2017, 03:40:53 pm »
I am about to market my property - house with 0.66 acre garden and adjacent paddock which is 2.66 acre

Would you...

Market house with option to buy paddock

Market both together.

Market house and market paddock separately.

I am very confident that I will sell paddock separately as people have asked me about it already. However I wouldn't sell it until a buyer for the house was identified in order to give them first refusal.

What's your thoughts?

pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Selling up, what would you do
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 05:24:29 pm »
Keep your options open. Market the house with the option to buy the paddock as well, and make this really clear to potential purchasers. Definitely don't sell the paddock separately until the house has sold though.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:46:01 pm »
 Not moving too far, I have been waiting for a property for 3 years to come on the market and it has finally come on , made an offer and it has been accepted :excited:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 07:03:47 am »
Lots, and with clear statement that lot 2 won't be sold until lot 1 is agreed, which avoids folk expecting a response to offers on just the land before you get interest in the house. 

Then go for sealed bids when you have enough interest in the house, and do your maths on all available offers that combine to sell all you want to sell for the highest price.  Which may be the highest bidder on both but may be separate bids on house and land.  Farmers do it this way for a reason.. ;)

When I sell I am planning to lot my land as well as the house/garden and may put the orchard with either of 2 lots or separate as it could go to next door's owners at the time or with house or with the field behind it.  And if I end up keeping one field unsold that works for me too as last time I sold land to buy here I wish I'd kept some as a grazing option for time of need and rented to neighbouring farm for tups meantime.  Live and learn!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 08:19:07 am »
Sell them both together. It's a more attractive package, and the new owner can always sell the paddock if they find it's too much. It's always so sad to see property and land split into smaller and smaller parcels. Adjacent land is not easily replaces.

Sure, you might make a bit more money the other way... but is it worth it on the grander scale?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 09:43:00 am »
Would your paddock be suitable to gain planning permission... even if you think it doesn't right now, you can put a clause into any contract with a buyer that means if the paddock ever gets planning permission you will be entitled to get a % of its then sale value.... just one thing to bear in mind...

However around here the only properties that sell fast are the ones with a pony paddock... you can put it into lots and any potential buyer can choose to take it or not...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS