Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Melons  (Read 2898 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Melons
« on: June 29, 2010, 09:40:03 pm »
Hi

I bought some teeny tiny melon plants that were suitable for a coldframe a month or so ago, put them in a large tub in a plastic growbag frame . . .and now they are huge.  :o  In the last week or so they seem to have grown another foot, there are tendrils everywhere, its ginormous.  :D

However, I can see a few flowers but no fruit. So - how big do these get, do I need to pollinate it and if so - what am I looking for? Should I pinch it off to stop it growing.  . .

Blimey, basically what do I do with this monster to get some fruit. I was not expecting it to be so big - very sceptical of getting melons in this country ::)

Anyone grown one before - or got one going? Help please   :farmer: :bouquet: :bouquet:

Re: Melons
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:48:04 am »
Hi,

We planted 4 melon plants last year in a 12m x 6m polytunnel - they grew the whole length AND across! so they really are monster plants.

We didnt polinate them - it all seemed to happen naturally, look for swellings behind the flowers, but we found that a melon would appear as if by magic under a large leaf.

One word of warning - watch for mice as the melons ripen - otherwise you may find 1/2 eaten fruit just as you come to pick them!

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 10:04:48 am »
I grow melons in Shetland! They are a smaller fruit variety but developed for a colder climate, they are very sweet and juicy. They are in a polytunnel and I dont pollinate mine either. F1 Hybrid Sweetheart it is called and I got the seeds from Dobies of Devon.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 11:04:40 am »
I grew melons one year and I did top out the growth because in a pot - it simply couldn't sustain more than a few fruit completely unsupported.  That way you can ensure that at least you get a couple of fruit, but temptation I find is always just to leave it and hope for lots!  They were the nicest melons I have ever eaten mind you. (Note to self - plant melons next year)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS