Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing and antibiotics ?  (Read 3960 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Lambing and antibiotics ?
« on: March 10, 2017, 09:48:57 pm »
Do folks have antibiotics on hand for lambing ?

Its our first time lambing our ewes, we have everything ready in our lambing kit but don't have any antibiotics as we've never really needed them. We've only needed to use antibiotics once on a ewe where the vets measured it out in a syringe and we could only collect and use that. Is it something to have at hand in case of any poorly lambs in the middle of the night ? Do we just ask our vets for some and explain why ?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Lambing and antibiotics ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 09:53:27 pm »
Most people have them on hand and the vets are generally happy to prescribe them knowing you have sheep to lamb.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:03:24 am »
Antibiotics keep reasonably well as long as they are refrigerated but a bottle is quite expensive so if you only have a few sheep (say a dozen or so) to lamb then ask for a couple of syringes full and they will keep fine for several weeks. I used one jab yesterday on a ewe that I had internally examined as I wanted to be sure she had not retained a lamb it is always useful to be able to jab soon after that rather than put it off if you don't have any.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:10:47 am »
Always good to have pen strep on hand just in case. Usually lambing isn't too bad a time for to require AB's. You can always purchase from the vet if you need them the same day. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 09:15:30 am »
Yes we have pen strep and an oxytet long acting- either alamycin or cyclosol. Not had to use the pen strep yet but have used the LA on anything that needed help lambing. If we need anything different the vet will generally come and see them, our first ewe had a major infection/bleed and had a bottle of synulox- we don't keep that in stock at home as it's very expensive (around £45/bottle) and only needed if infection is particularly bad. Also worth having some metacam in stock (again not a whole bottle as it's very expensive).

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 09:19:54 am »
Can depend on how many ewes you have.  If I have to help out a lamb without too much trouble (I always scrub up well with Hibiscrub) I don't give an antibiotic jab as I reckon almost everything I've touched will pretty soon be voided along with the afterbirth anyway. 

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 04:57:05 pm »
Our vet said no to giving us antibiotics or painkillers to have on hand. They said if we have a problem we can call and they will draw some up for us and we can drive to pick it up. Unfortuntely they are just over an hours drive away from us :-(

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:15:27 pm »
I always have a bottle handy, I usually get 1 bottle a year and use when required (even though your meant to disguard 30 days after opening I think).

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 07:06:00 pm »
Our vet said no to giving us antibiotics or painkillers to have on hand. They said if we have a problem we can call and they will draw some up for us and we can drive to pick it up. Unfortuntely they are just over an hours drive away from us :-(

Dans

That's all very well until you get an emergency on the Saturday night of a bank holiday, (or any night for that matter.) I would imagine that the cost of the vet going to the surgery to give you your 5mls or so of antibiotic would far outway the cost of buying a bottle yourself so you have it in an emergency. And same applies to a painkiller. Not only that, but you're likely to think twice about ringing the vet in the early hours merely to ask for some medication. Sounds a bit like they're trying to drum up business. I'd be inclined to see if you can get a more amenable and closer vet.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:05:33 pm »

Dans

Agree with landroverroy, if a vet wouldn't dispence antibiotics for sheep I'd assume he was either; drumming up business, didn't trust you to use them propperly, or just being difficult. In any of those circumstances I'd find a different vet! 

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 08:25:13 pm »
. I used one jab yesterday on a ewe that I had internally examined as I wanted to be sure she had not retained a lamb it is always useful to be able to jab soon after that rather than put it off if you don't have any.
       If you use an arm length glove then there should be no need to give ab's .       You don't have to put your hand inside to check for a lamb , if you press on the stomach in front of the udder then you can feel a lamb or not

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 08:29:33 am »
Vets would be irresponsible if they let everyone with a few sheep have a bottle of a/bs, irrespective of the person's training and experience.  (The press is full of antibiotic resistance scare stories, mostly blaming farmers.).

I would expect the vet of a new sheepkeeper to perhaps be prepared to supply one or two syringes in case of the late night necessity, provided the vet is comfortable that the person would be able to judge when and when not to use it, and has the skill and knowledge to do so.  With your background, Dans, I wouldn't have thought that ought to be a problem - assuming you've told the vet you're an expert on fluke!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 08:38:26 am »
As I've mentioned in another post I've faced similar challenges with our vets over lambing. I got the same response of 'if you need antibiotics or painkillers, ring us, we'll draw some up and you can come and fetch them'. I had only asked to have a couple of syringes drawn up to have on hand and typically we had a very difficult lambing late evening, the ewe was sore and uncomfortable afterwards, reluctant to let the lambs suckle but had to wait until the vets opened in the morning.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 10:02:27 am »
Yep, I can totally understand not giving bottles out here there and everywhere, but given the distance and competancy I'd have thought they would do at least a couple syringes. I've had several conversations with them, each time knowing  exactly what I needed from them but they are still insistent that they can't prescribe until there is actually an issue. I would actually love to go to a different vets but they seem to be the only vet that covered our area. There were two but one stopped doing large animals at the start of the year. Time to check again and see if anyone else has increased thier coverage.

It has made me aware that different practices can have very different policies and to value a close practice that has policies you agree with.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS