Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Waiting for stragglers to lamb  (Read 2465 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Waiting for stragglers to lamb
« on: April 18, 2017, 09:42:38 am »
Our first lambing season has gone relatively well, a few blips but all of the shearlings we bought last summer have had twins so far and our ewe lamb had a very strong single  :excited:   We have 2 of the shearlings left to lamb, both of which returned after 1st service. 1 returned on Dec 1st the day before the ram came out so would be due April 27th. The other was served Oct 29th but didn't lamb- she looks pretty in lamb now and her vulva is pale and starting to slacken off. Neither really have much of an udder on them. The other shearlings all bagged up fairly well in advance despite this being their first time lambing. These 2 don't seem in much of a hurry. The ram came out on Dec 2nd- so according to the calculator the latest the lambs could be born is May 10th. If these ewes don't lamb they are going to market as culls, when would be the safest time to do this? We are shearing 18th May so I'd prefer not to shear them if they are empty and get them gone as soon as is safe to do so. They are in at the moment as I'm worried if I turn them out and they do lamb a. the lambs will be huge due to the lush grass we have and b. I'll never catch them if they need help  :roflanim:  so they are in on 500g nuts a day and hay. I'm going to speak to our vet and see about sponging this autumn...

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Waiting for stragglers to lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 12:19:07 pm »
You seem to have answered your questions , after may 10th seems good . IF they are in good condition  then maybe reduce the nuts to 200gm ,just in case they are carrying singles , don't forget they have been fed for a lot longer than the others

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 01:07:01 pm »
Wasn't sure I if I ought to leave it longer than the 10th or if they could go say the week after. Just looking for a bit of reassurance really as not had to send cull ewes off before. If any of the cows go to cull they are pd'd beforehand. The ewes came in staggered and only had feed when they came in, these 2 were on a handful of nuts a day until about 2 weeks ago. Their backs feel ok to me, easy to feel the spine, have lost a little condition which makes me think they are in lamb, but who knows.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 02:56:18 pm »
I have had ewes lamb nine days late before now.  Much depends on the weather and other variables.  Can you run them next to a ram or a teaser for a couple of weeks before tupping?  One of the problems some sponged flocks had this year was that the timing coincided with midges carrying SBV and some flocks lost 30%.  It seems a vaccine may be available this year but if not putting all your eggs in one basket could be risky.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 03:32:27 pm »
I have had ewes lamb nine days late before now.  Much depends on the weather and other variables.  Can you run them next to a ram or a teaser for a couple of weeks before tupping?  One of the problems some sponged flocks had this year was that the timing coincided with midges carrying SBV and some flocks lost 30%.  It seems a vaccine may be available this year but if not putting all your eggs in one basket could be risky.

Not really... we borrowed a ram from some friends last year as don't really have the space to run a ram at home separate to the flock. SBV is worth noting though- hadn't thought of that... I'll speak to our vet I think and work out a plan. The majority of our ewes lambed 3-6wks ago with an early one too, but these late ewes are a bit of a pain now as I'm back at work. They ran with the ram for 10 weeks which was a bit too long really but the ewes were sluggish to start cycling and the 2 that returned were served with the others, one returned 6 weeks after first service :yuck:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 08:22:18 pm »
By may 10 th they will either of lambed or it will be obvious that they are going to .   Next year i'm sure  you will reduce the ram time , its all about experience .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS