Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fox attack  (Read 2051 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
fox attack
« on: June 29, 2010, 03:39:42 pm »
Well the fox came back, this time he got his victim my broody hen who had been sitting on duck eggs for two weeks. I went out at 5.25am on Monday morning to find that he/she had dug under the run. I think it had not long happend for the blood in the pen was still very wet and as there was a warm wind I would have expected it to be dry. We have put the duck eggs in the incubator but i am not getting my hopes up that at last we will have ducklings. She was one of my three original girls and I felt so sad that she met such a horrible end. :( :chook:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: fox attack
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 05:19:15 pm »
so sorry about your hen. Broodies do sit in places they think are safe, but are not.  One of my latest ex batts must have gone under the hen shed the other night, goodness knows why.  Its raised up off the floor on blocks.  Found a lot of feathers next morning .........

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 11:34:48 pm »
I make no exceptions for broodies - locked into one of the safe houses at night. If they can be moved , good, if not, no babies. All the pheasants who tried breeding in our garden were taken at some point and I could collect feathers and bones from under the brambles later in the year. It's not worth letting the girls have a go out there...So sorry about your hen, Sabrina! Horrible to lose one of your own...I hope you can hatch the eggs at least :chook: :&>

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:32:05 am »
A fox got my broody - she had three days left - all but 2 eggs were taken or smashed - the remaining two were put in the incubator and survived! Good luck!

I have moved three broodies sucessfully - seems the key has been to move them somewhere dark.

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:55:52 am »
 :( Nature!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS