Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Muntjac - how to catch one???  (Read 2221 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Muntjac - how to catch one???
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:22:28 pm »
I just (7.00pm I. E. Half an hour before sunset) saw a muntjac in out allotment site!!!
I was really shocked as we are in the middle of city!!!
It seems stocked inside. When it saw me it tried to tun away through the closed gate but it was to tight for him to cross.
I'll check first thing in the morning if it's still there.
How can I catch it? Will it go inside the fox live trap? Should we just shoot it? What the best option?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Muntjac - how to catch one???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 08:31:38 pm »
RSPCA should help?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 11:44:32 pm »
entice it into a large oven with some red wine and mushrooms....... or a .243

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 03:18:33 pm »
Had one on the school field once (over 8 foot high spiky metal fencing, you know the sort you get round council-owned land). Phoned the wildlife sanctuary we had a lot to do with and he said to leave it be as if it got in it'll (eventually) get back out and if it wasn't ill or injured there's no way they'd be able to catch it. Sure enough it had gone away over the weekend, almost certainly of it's own devices as we locked it in the bottom half of the grounds away from the road and people.

I know it's a bit after the event for OP but somebody may have the same issue in future  :)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 06:17:03 pm »
entice it into a large oven with some red wine and mushrooms....... or a .243
I find the .243 a tad crunchy for my liking.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS