Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to leave lambs out for there first night  (Read 11116 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
When to leave lambs out for there first night
« on: June 28, 2010, 09:31:47 pm »
So we have 2 lambs that are 15 weeks and 3 that are 11 weeks. at the moment i still bring them into the stables at night when they have there last bottle,when will it be safe to leave them out.
Thanks

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Re: When to leave lambs out for there first night
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:27:30 am »
You should keep bringing them in until December

Joking - normally they are born outside and are fine. It's not cold so they will be fine out all night now.

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 03:43:53 pm »
Mine are about the same age as yours and have been out since i got them two weeks ago, they have been pretty hot so i was glad they had a field shelter and plenty of water in the field though. Don't be cruel Shrekfest i was the same last year with my first lambs and probably just as bad this year with my first piglets. It's more fun this way i will get a course and do things the easy way one year?

Rob.  ;D

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 06:40:52 pm »
I have some lambs that are now about the same age (10 weeks) but I worry about foxes getting them so are they safe from foxes at that age?

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 11:33:43 am »
We havn't had a problem with fox, but until you mentioned it i hadn't thought about it. The local farmer i got them from last year said they would be ok and they were, anyway at 10 week i would think they would be to much bother for a fox?

Rob.  ;D

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 07:16:14 pm »
Thank you Pottsie. Ill put them out then Im sure they will love it.  ;D

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:38:14 pm »
we left our shelter open so that they could come under cover if they wanted to.  They have plenty of shade in the field but they do all seem to congregate in under the shelter at night - safety in numbers maybe?

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:42:45 pm »
I wasnt worried about them being cold more worried about foxes,well last night left them out for there first night out,opened all my bedroom windows as they are on the lawn next to us in case of any problems but all went well,looked out of window around 4am and they were all happly grazing.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 09:28:44 am »
Well done, glad it went well. 

We are coming upto the time when we will have to decide when to leave our little ones (one lamb and two goats) out overnight too.  Its hard when you've become attached isnt it :)

Ta

Baz

sheepish_too

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:06:48 pm »
15 weeks and 11 weeks and they're still on a bottle? Do you have shares in Volac? ;-)

I wean orphans at 6 weeks and then they go into my smallest field. Lots of foxes about but never had a problem doing that. Understandable to be concerned but those should be fairly big sheep, assuming not something primitive?

Meh!

• Joined Jul 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 02:10:54 pm »
My Lambs are 10 weeks old and still have a bottle once a day. the vet advised that if I didn;t mind the cost, it could only do them a lot of good to keep giving them some milk as it would help give them nutrients that they may not be getting elsewhere.
 I have about 6kg of volac left so will stop when thats done. I understand that the reason lambs are taken off milk earlier is purely due to cost and commercial viability. Mine are purely pets so I want them to be as healthy as possible.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 10:37:26 am »
I bought 7 texels to go with my own lambs and all are left out now and we are not having any trouble with the foxes around here.

I also stopped bottle feeding mine once the texels came. Mine did make a lot of noise for the first few days after we stopped bottle feeding but they are ok now and still enjoy a stroke from us and the odd treat of a plain biscuit.

sheepish_too

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 09:57:04 pm »
Yep, fair doos - 6 weeks is a commercial thing. If you have the Volac it's best before date never seems to quite last til the next season - although if I have a complete bag left I store it and nothing comes to any harm drinking it the following year.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 10:56:39 pm »
I was still feeding bottles as i had some milk power left as i had to buy another bag of milk as the 3 i bought were still on bottles,although they were 6 weeks when i got them they were very poor so kept feeding them all as i wanted to use the bag up as i  hate to waste it, but i had to have the vet for flystrike and he said to carry on as they were on the thinner side,but since i got my soays they are all together and they lost interest .I am luckly that i only pay trade price for the milk as  i have a horse and pet shop.

sheepish_too

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 11:55:31 pm »
I wonder if you live close-ish to anyone on these forums? Dealing with maggots, dagging and foot trimming would take about 20 mins to show you and you could save vets bills for nasty stuff. Not that maggots aren't the nastiest little buggers you ever see!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS