Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: heavily pregnant ewes with dirty bums  (Read 2349 times)

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
heavily pregnant ewes with dirty bums
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:52:10 pm »
hi guys,

I'd appreciate some advice on this one.  First time lambing so I may be being a little over cautious. 
My girls are due to pop in a few weeks but some of them have have developed decidedly dirty bottoms!  I suspect it might be the flush of the new grass coming through but I'll drop a dung sample off at the vets for a FEC to be safe. 

So, with that in mind, my question is what to do with the dirty bums?...  a couple of the ewes can be quite flighty so if I don't need to stress them out by penning them for dagging I won't.  However, by leaving all that muck close to the udder, could this cause issues for any lambs?  ...Or would you leave them for now and dag them once they've lambed but before they are turned back out?

Thanks,
Cuddles

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: heavily pregnant ewes with dirty bums
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 07:16:50 am »
I would dag what I can as sucking on a muck clanger does not do a new born lamb any good.

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 09:29:20 am »
 :yuck:  hahaha

Thanks buttermilk, that painted a very vivid picture in my head!  I'd better go and clean up the kitchen... is there a spray coffee all over the place when you read something funny emoji??

:roflanim:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 11:41:49 am »
When testing a ewe for milk immediately after birth I always use a dairy teat wipe on the teats themselves.  In this case I would let her lick off the lamb and dag her as soon as she's calmed down and rested for a while.  I usually dag the ewes and trim the wool from the underside and end of the tail before they go to the ram.  This helps quite a bit to keep the rear end clean.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS