Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccinations  (Read 2041 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Vaccinations
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:09:51 am »
The vet is meant to be ringing me back - yesterday!

I would like to footvax everything however the lambs have just had their first heptavac last week.  Can I do the footvax at 2 weeks after the first heptavac, or should I wait until 2 weeks after the 2nd heptavac before starting the footvax?  I do have too many lame sheep for comfort.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Vaccinations
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 12:03:09 pm »
If it were me I wouldn't be mixing those.  Get the Hep all done, and leave it a few weeks before doing any other vaccine.

Spray lame sheep with anti-biotic spray as a treatment for now (no AB injection).  Also you use goldenhoof to footbath them in in the short term, just get them to stand in it for 20mins and make sure they dry off well before putting back on pasture.  Obviously don't do both of those things - one or the other! :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 12:42:52 pm »
Just a quick note (in case); beware that sheep who have had Cydectin 1% wormer can't then have footvax.

HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 03:10:17 pm »
Lame sheep does not always equal foot rot.
An old and very effective remedy for limping sheep is to get them to walk through lime. Put a pile of lime, (or just a few bags  of garden lime if that's all you can get) next to their water or in a gateway or where you feed them or anywhere else where they regularly walk. That should sort their foot problems out in a pretty short time.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 03:26:24 pm »
I Footvaxed the flock in 2007 and haven't needed to do so since.  I did them around this time of year but found the oily adjuvant caused considerable irritation, particularly in the tegs, some of which rubbed the area raw against low branches so we had to catch and treat the wounds every few days to stop the flies laying in them.  If I needed to do it again I'd wait until Autumn.  Fortunately we haven't seen footrot or scald since.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS