Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I hate ear tagging  (Read 2465 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
I hate ear tagging
« on: June 28, 2010, 05:40:16 pm »
One of my castrated boys has an ear just healing, having pulled his tag out.  Last night, found little Dolly with a massive slice out of her ear, and a missing tag.

Left little Barnie the pygmy kid as long as possible, but this afternoon have tagged him.  He is very vocal anyway, and screamed very loudly when the tag went in.  I have an automatic tagger now, that releases itself, not like the old one where you had to do it.  He is only small, and has small ears, so the blooming tag looks massive.  Will be sulking now with me - what with castrating, and ear tagging.....he will steer clear of me.

Not done the two girl kids yet, but their ears are bigger, and they are much taller, so may feel better about it.  Doubt it, though. Would avoid it if I could.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: I hate ear tagging
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:52:02 pm »
Are tagging goats the same as tagging sheep as in position of tag etc? We have just got the electronic tags with an auto feed tagger and are a bit cautious of doing the goats. Fine with sheep but I do agree I wish they woud invent something better.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 05:57:08 pm »
We are not modern, and still on the old fashioned non electronic!!  I always try and position as high up as possible, obviously with the sticking out bit where the tag joins on the inside, in the hope it will not catch.  I did notice the two  who lost tags (not done by us) were not in the best position in my opinion.

Never had any trouble with Cain and Abel, who have the enormous Anglo Nubian ears, but their ears are not stuck up of course. Maybe do not get caught on things?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:14:26 pm »
both Margo and Geraldine lost one tag each...  Gera has a HUGE tear in hers so I refuse to even try to replace it, theres no way it would stay in.
And these are the small black oblong ones....
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS