Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rosemary's poultry course on 26/7  (Read 2902 times)

gillian

• Joined Aug 2008
Rosemary's poultry course on 26/7
« on: August 03, 2008, 02:56:02 pm »
Just want to say how much i enjoyed Rosemary's course on Sat (Rosemary from accidental smallholder), it was a pleasure to be invited into Rosemary and Dan's home. Myself and 4 other ladies (novice chicken keepers) enjoyed a few hours learning from Rosemary's experiences and Dan's lovely home cooking.  I wood recommend anyone wanting to keep chickens to go on her course as it certainly gave me more confidence and useful contacts.
I hope the other ladies on the course are well and it would be nice to hear how you are getting on. My two silkies are settling in well into their morning routine and are getting bigger, they still look like girls so fingers crossed. I mentioned the idea of hatching eggs when they get broody and my husband was not too put off so may be something for the future.  If anyone is going to buy a big bag of grit and want to split the cost/and grit as i only have the 2 hens, just let me know.   

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Rosemary's poultry course on 26/7
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:17:06 am »
Thanks, Gillian - appreciate this.

I'd be happy to let you have some grit and we can probably sort something out longer term.

sandy

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:53:18 pm »
Hi, have you sexed your silies yet? Maybe you should let them breed and sell the eggs on e Bay. I have grown very fond of my chickens and now have sorted out the "Chicken Run" issues and found it was my dog that encouraged them to escape, I think they are happy now with a it of trellace along the existing fence, I was concerned that keeping chickens was becooming realy expensive plus my year old dog costing me a small fortune in repairs as she seems to be eating everything. I am going to buy some grit tomorrow, it may last me longer than the chickens so if you want some I will be happy to let you have some. I am in Clackmannan and keep the B&B on the main street so am easy to find. Good luck and wish I could have a few more hens,
Sandra from the course

gillian

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:29:12 pm »
silkie update-

I keep checking every day for changes, they are getting bigger and i am surprised how much they eat, Rosemary said her hens liked sardines and so i tried this as a treat for mine and they about took my fingers off.  There are no traces of cockrel as yet and i am keeping my fingers crossed.  They have been brave this week and worked out how to climb up to the shelf in their run and then they try to fly back down to the ground.  Thanks for offer of grit. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS