Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lambs born in thick sac - not good  (Read 1380 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
lambs born in thick sac - not good
« on: April 05, 2017, 09:19:52 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has come across this issue - for time reasons we are just starting lambing indoors (usually outdoors) but noticed that there have been a few born in the big sac which can drown or suffocate a few.  I have lost a few already due to not being right and thoughts may be down to lack of oxygen?  Its not a huge issue and one I havent seen ever before.

Anyone one got a reason for this or prevention?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: lambs born in thick sac - not good
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 07:00:40 am »
I came across this problem a few years ago at a place I was lambing. The conclusion was it was a deficiency to do with trace elements in the soil. I'm pretty sure this was after consulting the vet etc
We lost a few this way, the sacs were really tough to break. They must have resolved it because it didn't happen in subsequent years

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: lambs born in thick sac - not good
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:08:27 am »
I've seen this occasionally and never discovered why.  The best thing you can do is be very vigilant, pen the ewe and keep checking so you can try to be there for the birth and break the sac open.  Particularly helpful if the ewe is a first-timer and may not quickly cotton on to the need to lick off the lamb's head first.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS