Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hatching goose eggs (under a bird)  (Read 2080 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
hatching goose eggs (under a bird)
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:43:20 pm »
First year with geese :) and I have a couple of questions.

If I were to store some eggs for hatching, should I just do it the normal way? i.e. somewhere cool and turn regularly?

Could I leave them in her nest and wait for her to get broody? will she wait for a clutch? (Shetlands)

TIA  ;D

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: hatching goose eggs (under a bird)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:09:19 am »
If you want her to go broody I would just leave the eggs in her nest - as long as she made a nest in a safe place. My young goose started laying eggs outside the coop. In the middle of the lawn next to a shrub. Not even underneath lol
They say in their first year of laying they might not cope very well with hatching their eggs. I'm considering putting some in the incubator and after they hatch putting them back with the adults.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:38:18 am »
Hi Lord Flynn.  Minnie has been sitting for the past few days on about 7 or 8 eggs.  I understood geese didn't spend long on the nest, but she is and doing well.
Her nest was in the hen house initially, then she got caught short one day and laid one in the goose house, so we moved the first nest, plus eggs into her house and she's been fine there.
Magnus is pacing about like an expectant Dad.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 03:59:02 pm »
thats good news Fleecewife mine seems to have stopped laying completely :/ and the ducks only came into lay last week so it will be another couple of weeks before they go broody.

I sold my incy, too much trouble -if a muscovy can't hatch it, I'm sure I can't! Hopefully Gaelis will start laying again but I'll check she's not laying elsewhere.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS