Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: quail  (Read 1608 times)

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
quail
« on: April 02, 2017, 03:09:09 pm »
I've been raising a few quail for eggs and looking at breeding more to increase the layers as eggs are selling well at the farm gate.

I'm struggling to make sense of the regulations for selling quail eggs to restaurants. I understand that I cannot sell hen eggs to restaurants / catering unless I am registered as a packer. What about quail eggs? Are they covered by the same requirements?

Anyone know what the legislation is for killing them for restaurants?

Cheers

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: quail
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 07:47:57 pm »
I'm a great believer that rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.
So if you can't make sense of the regulations then who is going to police them? (We're not talking about biosecurity here or anything that going to endanger man nor beast. It's not even on a par with having mouse droppings on the floor of an eating place - which only gives rise to a warning!)

If it were me I would go and offer my eggs to what I considered to be a suitable restaurant, and I'm sure they would be aware of any relevant legislation.  I would leave it up to them to mention any problems they might foresee. If by any chance some rules had been overlooked, it's hardly a hanging offence. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
Re: quail
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 07:54:11 pm »
I don't think the rules on hen eggs apply to other birds. Our neughbours used to produce food to sell in their pub. They kept duck and quail for eggs as they could sell these to customers without breaking any rules but they didn't keep hens which would require stamping etc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS