Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BEES!!! Nucleus or swarm  (Read 3406 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
BEES!!! Nucleus or swarm
« on: June 27, 2010, 05:38:22 pm »
Experienced bee keeper....not me but OH.....wants to set up his hives again and looking for a swarm or nuclei
Anyone know of one?
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: BEES!!! Nucleus or swarm
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 06:02:04 pm »
...bit obvious but... have you (O/H) been in touch with your local BK association?
I got my nuc via a beekeeping forum contact, might be worth a look?

good luck!
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 06:26:46 pm »
What happened to them before?  Did he lose them to this virus that's been devastating hives all over the world?  I'm still at the 'unsure whether to go ahead or not' stage having had my first lesson in beekeeping.  I have a few concerns - neighbours, my dogs, randchildren etc
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 06:36:15 pm »
Lost them in 1996.......we think we should set up again before too long ::)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 08:19:40 pm »
Annie , as long as no near neighbours are allergic to bee stings , they shouldn't be a problem . I doubt they would even know you had bees !!! If , however one does have an allergy , then maybe it would be asking for trouble to keep bees ?
 Dogs soon learn to give the hive a wide berth , mine did  !!! When they forget and get a bit close all I have to say is " mind the bees !!" and the dogs look straight at the hive and move away ...'fast '!!
 Kids are a worry though . You know your grandkids , and are the only one able to judge if they would leave the hive alone .
There are a million and one things that can harm kids ... roads ...or more correctly the cars on them !! or even more correctly , the divs driving them !! , does every one with kids live in the middle of a field with no road anywhere ? no.... electricity , does everyone get rid of all sockets etc ...no... bleach , tablets , the cooker , the kettle , the iron , the stairs , even , the dogs  !!! Bees are just another one of those things really , but on the whole far less likely to do any harm to anyone than any of them !! 

cheers

Russ 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 11:20:44 pm »
Thanks, Russ.  My mentor has suggested a place in my garden for a hive and he and others have assured me that the bees would fly straight up and over the lane outside my garden (where people with dogs walk down to enter the field across the lane from me - I would have no way of telling if any of them were allergic  ::)).  I have a bank of shrubs there, about 15 feet high and the depth is about 10 feet.  I can easily put a fence at the garden/lawn side of the hive which would ensure the bees lift straight up, and keep the dogs out (and grandchildren - incidentally they are very well behaved and would not go near the bees if instructed not to.  It was actually their parents who gave me the lesson as a Christmas present!)  I am hesitant because of the 'sue me' culture these days that's all, but I was told by a Government representative at the Highland Show on Friday that most Beekeepers Associations have 3rd party liability insurance cover for members.  I will investigate joining the local association, learn what I can prior to getting a nuc, and take it from there.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 12:44:21 am »
yes they would fly up , and be of no bother to anyone . The sue me way of life that we live now , is no more a worry than your postman tripping on your path , perhaps even less really .... as I think bees are considered  wild !!! , but I know what you mean ...best make sure about the insurance to be on the safe side . Good luck if you do decide to get some mate ....

cheers

Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 07:36:21 am »
If you join the Scottish Beekeepers Asociation (£25 a year) you get insurance cover through that plus newletters, access to library etc. Dunblane and Stirling Beekeepers is £6 a year and they run classes £14 for 6 weeks January to March.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 09:26:27 am »
Hello Anne love I think I would need a s**t hot lawyer to prove it was one of your bees that stung me  ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 10:34:03 am »
If you join the Scottish Beekeepers Asociation (£25 a year) you get insurance cover through that plus newletters, access to library etc. Dunblane and Stirling Beekeepers is £6 a year and they run classes £14 for 6 weeks January to March.
It was a member of D & S Assoc I had my lesson from, and I will be taking their course next year.  I'm about to join them.  Thanks, Rosemary.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS