Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newborn lamb  (Read 3120 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Newborn lamb
« on: March 31, 2017, 12:50:25 am »
I've been given a lamb, this morning, umbical cord looked fresh.
Not sure if she'd had colostrum,  so gave her 50ml goats colostrum, then later about 70ml, which was all I had, no vehicle to go and get anything. Would this amount help at all ?
She is about 3kg, after the colostrum, she's been on goats milk, 100ml every 2-3 hours, I'm about to mix some Lamlac and give her 150ml of Lamlac and goats milk. (When feeding goat kids I find there are less problems  giving the combined milk). Never had to rely on bottle feeding one so young before.
Reading some goat advice it says 4oz milk to 5lb body weight. Is this OK?
Amazed OH not objected to her being in the kitchen ;-).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:29:07 am by penninehillbilly »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Newborn lamb
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:49:16 am »
Yes the colostrum will have helped.  First feed 50ml minimum of sheep's colostrum is my benchmark, although I'm happier if they get 150ml.  After that, more colostrum is less urgent.  I've reared many, many pet lambs with just one feed of colostrum.

I've never fed goats milk so can't comment on quantities thereof, but feeding sheep's milk to a commercial lamb I'll offer 150-200ml per feed for the first day or two, going up to 250ml per feed (if they want it) after that.  I usually try to give them 6 feeds in the first 24 hours, then 4 a day after that.  My smaller, primitive type lambs do have slightly smaller appetites - but not much!  ::).

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 03:06:03 am »
Thanks Sally, i think this is a little welshy sort, just given it a last feed for the night, 150ml mixed, it's been wandering round kitchen, while cat (OH) is away, we play :-).

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 06:34:46 am »
I've raised lambs on just goats milk and found they need about 1.5l total after the first  week, usually go by what they're happy taking.  They do very well on it.
If I were you I wouldn't keep it in the kitchen too long, it'll be enough of a pest without thinking it's a house sheep ;D

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 10:46:36 am »
I've raised lambs on just goats milk and found they need about 1.5l total after the first  week, usually go by what they're happy taking.  They do very well on it.
If I were you I wouldn't keep it in the kitchen too long, it'll be enough of a pest without thinking it's a house sheep ;D
She's cute tho   :).
Probably keep her in about a week? Will she be able to keep her temperature out in the barn?
Little Jack Russell was cleaning it's back end, any problem with that? I was mixing the milk when I saw him, then decided he was doing the job I didn't like.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 10:52:19 am »
Welsh sheep are as tough as old boots so she'll probably be fine in a barn.  Give her a well-bedded corner with something like a straw bale to lie down behind out of the breeze.  Make sure she has a shallow container of water available at all times.  You could start feeding her creep at the end of the first week.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 12:33:22 am »
She's currently laid in front of rayburn like a dog  :).
I think I overfed her this morning, was worried when she didn't want a bottle this afternoon, but she's been taking milk again tonight.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 12:23:29 pm »
Unless there are other sheep in the barn with her I wouldn't leave a newborn lamb in its own in a shed - badgers/foxes may just be on the lookout for an easy dinner... I usually have lambs out on the lawn during the day in my children's (now outgrown...) playpen and in a dog crate in the house at night.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 01:41:32 pm »
Barn is closed, yes, thinking of dog crate overnight, now have boer baby (smallest of triplets) to take her place in kitchen, not sure he'll make it. :(.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS