Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Creep feeder  (Read 3241 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Creep feeder
« on: April 11, 2017, 07:59:34 am »
Having spent a few days puzzling over how to give creep feed to my lambs I have come up with the idea of turning a ring feeder upside down, off now to try it. If anyone has any better ideas please tell me. Having lambed a month earlier this year my grass isn't as far on as I would have liked and as this is going to be my last lambing I don't want to buy a new creep feeder.
Anne

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Creep feeder
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 08:55:51 am »
The ewes will put their heads in and try to reach the creep, so unless the feeder is fastened to the ground they will push it until they reach the food.  You will also need to cover the creep feed to protect it from the weather and birds.

I have a hurdle pen with a some lamb rails on one side.  The first year the rails were home made with slats of wood but I bought a purpose made one last year.  It is tied to the fence so the ewes cannot push it around and is under cover to protect from the elements.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:05:05 am »
The ewes will put their heads in and try to reach the creep, so unless the feeder is fastened to the ground they will push it until they reach the food.  You will also need to cover the creep feed to protect it from the weather and birds

I will tie it to a fence and I have a cover which fits over the top, if it doesn't work I'll try a hurdle pen!
Anne

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 04:01:16 pm »
How old are the lambs?  You may be better giving concentrates to the ewes so the lambs get better milk if they are younger than 6-8 weeks old.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 04:38:37 pm »
How old are the lambs?  You may be better giving concentrates to the ewes so the lambs get better milk if they are younger than 6-8 weeks old.

Afraid I must disagree with that.
 If the lambs are old enough to eat creep feed, which presumably they are, then it is far more efficient to give them the creep feed direct than to have it converted by a ewe into milk.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 04:44:04 pm »
Might this depend on the individual system?  I never feed creep - both breeds are native and will be weaned at around 16 weeks.  Breeding quality will go onto good grazing, the rest to market as stores.  Grass quality is good enough to finish freezer lambs by November.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 05:58:23 pm »
Lambs are just 11 days old, they are Zwartbles and big strong lambs that are already picking at the feed that the ewes get so I just thought it would be a good idea to get them onto their own food. Grass is growing pretty well but worried that this cold snap may slow things down.
Anne

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 06:38:15 pm »
Can I ask why you're creep feeding at all? A 100% grass fed product sells and tastes better.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 08:59:54 pm »
Can I ask why you're creep feeding at all? A 100% grass fed product sells and tastes better.

The OP opened with
Having lambed a month earlier this year my grass isn't as far on as I would have liked
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 09:13:15 pm »
I've often used half a ring feeder tied against a fence, works grand.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 08:44:37 am »
 It's working really well, lambs not terribly interested in it yet but a few are going in and having a nibble, they seem to like mums course mix better.  ;D
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS