Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wethers as pets  (Read 4816 times)

Josiejo

• Joined Mar 2017
Wethers as pets
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:20:58 pm »
I know it's not really safe to keep a pet ram but wondered if anyone has kept a castrated male as a pet before? We're they easy to manage?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Wethers as pets
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 08:38:48 pm »
Sheep are herd animals so must be kept in pairs at least.   Wethers vary every bit as much as Rams .... some are friendly , others less so.    I have one who has always been one to race across field for a tickle ... but last week he took a dislike to the dog and gave it a good head but in the ribs.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Josiejo

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 10:04:31 pm »
I've got 4 ewes already but they've recently had lambs and I'm smitten with one of the boys and want to keep him! I'm fairly new to keeping sheep so just wondered what people's experiences of keeping wethers were but I guess like you said it can depend on the individual.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 11:10:34 pm »
We have 2 wethers. They behave very much like the ewes and have not shown any aggression to us or other animals. A bit more feisty when being handled but that is all.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 12:04:24 am »
Resist the temptation to have them too tame.  Don't hand feed, don't put up with them pressing into you, tripping you up, etc, while they're young.  They grow into big, stocky things that will be able to really hurt you just by being overfriendly! 

I always say don't have two, have three.  Then if something happens to one, you aren't madly searching for a companion for the one that's left ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 07:13:34 am »
Our wethers just run with the ewes. Only time we had to separate them was during lambing when they became over interested in the ewes and would have been hazardous during lambing. It only occured as the ewes were very close to lambing probably due to sensing hormone changes.

We treat ours just like the ewes and do hand feed etc. We might be lucky and maybe some get 'pushy' like tups but ours seem to be behave in a very ewe like manner. In fact when it comes to butting each other it's our girls that are the culprits!  ::)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 12:03:01 pm »
Wethers are handy if you need a companion for a ram, separate from the ewes.  And they make good lawn mowers.  The only problem I have found is with pre-lambing feeding: I would use ewe nuts but if you have a wether in with the ewes then you can't feed ewe nuts to wethers.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 01:04:53 pm »
We don't castrate ram lambs.  They're either good enough to register for breeding or they're sold as store lambs.

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 09:51:40 pm »
We have 3 Wethers. The oldest one, now 2, is everyone's favourite sheep. He's bolder than the ewes and very friendly, but no hint of aggression. The younger twins are a bit more wary but again no aggression.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS