Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A lurker looking for land  (Read 5295 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: A lurker looking for land
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 10:12:00 pm »
You beat me to it, Sally. Lovely cottage. We stay there ourselves.

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 10:22:15 pm »
20 acres in Lancashire?

Jono.

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 05:56:16 am »
Depends what you are looking for and your future plans are. There aren't that many jobs in many rural Welsh areas and not that many opportunities for young people to get well paid jobs. Many young people are forced to move away.

We're between Welshpool and Newtown and in a very rural scattered farming based hamlet. However it is just about possible to travel to Shrewsbury, Wrexham, Oswestry for employment. Just thought that this location would give our children the option of staying in their community if they wished.

Our son is now 18. He is working for a fairly local company as an apprentice Able to earn a small wage and his university fees (1 day a week) are paid for by his company. He can get the train to uni. He hopes, at the moment, to live and work locally and hopes he has chosen a profession that will enable him to do so.

Just something else for you to think about. I know yours are only little now but time flies!

I agree that learning Welsh while they are young is the best option. Welsh speaking here seems to be in 'pockets'. 3 miles in one direction Welsh speaking, 3 miles the other mainly English.

All children are taught Welsh in school anyway.

Thank you for all your help and advice. Future plans would be to buy a property and hopefully live out our lives on it. I'm sick of the rat race and living so close to London is starting to depress my partner and I, we're both from similar backgrounds and didn't think it would be possible to find a smallholding or land without having millions in the bank until I started looking and researching about 2 years ago. Then I was given the go ahead from work to relocate without sacrificing my job so that has kick-started our search. This will take time and we are not going to rush into anything but will enjoy the search and the whole experience.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 10:23:31 pm »
Pembrokeshire, wales is worth a look - i moved here from england many moons ago.  The coastline is getting upto to cornish prices but inland there are still some bargins around that have not been sold as holiday lets.

Plus look out for people buying holiday lets - they normally dont want the land around it so you can hire it for pennies in return for upkeep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 11:58:41 am »
Best of luck finding something that suits you in Wales.  :fc:

If that doesn't pan out, have you thought about a community?  I've recently moved to Trelay in Cornwall.  We have a diverse community of 23 adults and 9 children, all work together to run our smallholding for our own food.  I can't think of a better environment for rearing children.  And we are always on the lookout for new members who want to work with the livestock and/or in the veg plot!  ;)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 12:32:25 pm »
Just another option- we gave up looking for an affordable smallholding and took another approach. We found a small cottage for sale, found out who owned the field next door and asked them if we 'won' the house (auction) would they sell us the field.
Sorted. Now we have a smallholding :-)
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 02:09:16 pm »
Hi

Backinwellies here ....   check out www.nantygroes.co.uk   to see more about us.  Cottage can be available but please let me know quick as OH is doing some preseason updating.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Jono.

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 03:44:40 pm »
Pembrokeshire, wales is worth a look - i moved here from england many moons ago.  The coastline is getting upto to cornish prices but inland there are still some bargins around that have not been sold as holiday lets.

Plus look out for people buying holiday lets - they normally dont want the land around it so you can hire it for pennies in return for upkeep.

Thank you, the search continues.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 08:37:20 am »
Welcome to the site and all the best in your search. I grew up in South Wales and visit often. I live in Scotland, Angus, on the east coast and really believe it is one of the finest places in the uk to live. If you've not been up here, and your work would allow you to settle anywhere, it's well worth a visit!

Jono.

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 07:50:01 pm »
Hello everyone, just a quick message to say the search still continues, this is trickier than I thought but definitely not giving up.

:fc:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 09:47:57 pm »
Someone's advertising 6 acres in Aberdeenshire on another thread...  Aberdeenshire's not a bad place to live, clean water and air, not too much traffic, a dry corner of the country, but cold.  Short growing season.  A lot of property on the market at the moment due to the downturn in the oil industry.  The downside is it's a long way from 'civilisation' in any direction, and the transport links aren't great!  If you like hillwalking, skiing, beach walks, whisky and castle trails there are worse places to be.
Sorry but I dsagree about transport links - Train from Aberdeen to London'; bus to anywhere; A96 Inverness to Aberdeen; A90 to stirling and south, cut off at Perth for ednburgh area.  Airport at Dyce to almost anywhere. 

Growing season can be extended with polytunnels and greenhouses

Aberdeenshire is a great place to live, and cheaper to buy propery than where I am now - Central Scotland, even with the oil slump.  Last oil slump didn't last long 1986 to 1990
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS