Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potatoes and straw bales  (Read 1355 times)

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
Potatoes and straw bales
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:05:09 am »
I can't find the link I read about growing spuds in straw bales. Can anyone point me in the right direction please
Many thanks in advance
Angie

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Potatoes and straw bales
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:26:54 am »
I can't find the link I read about growing spuds in straw bales. Can anyone point me in the right direction please
Many thanks in advance
Angie
http://strawbalegardens.com/blog/2013/02/youll-never-grow-potatoes-any-other-way-again/
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Potatoes and straw bales
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:11 am »
accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=82100.15

One of my posts in nthe thread give you a lot more detail ,. you only need straw bales & a gentle liquid manure to get theh bales breaking down / composting .

Wrapping the bales in plastic sheet astraight after givening them a good wetting will help  to get them sweating ,  Once you can see they are  rotting down intop compost it helps tremendously but you'll need to remove the sheeting when you plant up or you can  roll the sheet back down to the ground & weight it down   before planting & feeding with plenty of the same .

Many of the American guys In American sites thoughtthat they had to earth up on top of the bale ......There is no earthing up to do.

I used to use a long pointed 2x 2 2 length of pointed wood to poke a 15 " deep planting holes down into the composting bales then drop a chitted spud down each hole & push some composting straw gently down the planted up hole  .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS