Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prolapse that goes back in itself  (Read 7933 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Prolapse that goes back in itself
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 11:19:28 pm »
We had one last year with a grapefruit sticking out whenever she lay down, which started a couple of days before lambing. The worst bit of it was that I gave her an energy boost drench (badly  :-[ ) which then made her cough, and each time she did......

In the end, she lambed normally, but then had an infection and a very smelly rear end. This cleared up with ABs and a pessary from the vet. Our vet was pretty relaxed about all of this, and said if she was his, he'd give her another year.

However, I think I'm going to follow your lead, Marches Farmer and give her Calciject as a precautionary measure (it's only a fiver a bottle after all). Another month until we know if the vet was right or not!  :fc:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 09:53:15 am »
I think it depends how many sheep you have to wether you cull or not. If you only have a few then keeping an eye on one that may or may not prolapse is not so much of a problem. If you have hundreds it's more difficult and quite frankly it's stress you can do without!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 09:59:11 am »
I think it depends how many sheep you have to wether you cull or not. If you only have a few then keeping an eye on one that may or may not prolapse is not so much of a problem. If you have hundreds it's more difficult and quite frankly it's stress you can do without!

But then if the outcome is still the same, why take the risk? I only have a handful of sheep, more reason to make sure each and every one is productive, yes I may have more time but time spent on ewes that are ticking time bombs isn't really time spent productively? My ewe has a very mild prolapse that goes in every time she stands up, but decision made this weekend she's off and I'll buy a replacement with hopefully much less risk of prolapse next year.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 10:23:05 am »
I wouldn't take the risk but can see why people with only a few would choose to.
Although it can't be very comfortable for the poor ewe  :o

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 02:00:16 pm »
We had a ewe prolapse as a first timer, got the twins out and one of them was breached and died before we could get it out. The other twin survived but was killed by a ewe a few weeks later :( The mother managed to make it through and we fattened her up and she is half of the mutton in our freezer, delish! I was talking to our vet a few weeks ago and she said that in cattle the first pregnancy they don't suffer with calcium deficiency but maybe the second or third. Would this also apply to sheep? In regards to the ewe any prolapse would be a get rid, how is her condition score? Both before and after she got into lamb and now?
All the best and I hope she lambs ok!
WBF
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jessandkath

• Joined Mar 2017
  • West Yorkshire
    • Riddlesden Jacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 02:59:59 pm »
Thanks all
Well, she's still doing ok. There was a tiny bit out when she was lying down this morning but it popped right back in as soon as she stood up. We'd pretty much decided to put a harness on her but couldn't get near her today (typical - usually so tame). If we can get her calmly without adding stress this afternoon we'll harness her up even if there is nothing - I'm working tues-thurs so don't have as much time to keep popping on and checking as we do when both of us are working at home.

In terms of feed - we feed ewe nuts in the run up to lambing. Done the same as every year. Having said that she is probably a little on the fat side which may be the problem. The others are not as fat.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 10:52:10 pm »
If you think she looks fat - she probably is - go against your gut and feed less (but obviously enough) - if you have a big lamb with a loose ringindy ring, its going to spell disaster.

Also I dont like seeing prolaspses - they get dirty and is an ideal way for infection on retraction

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 12:27:29 am »
To add to this- our ewe with the minor small prolapse had a much larger one tonight, although it did go back in on its own I didn't think it wise to risk it coming out again so we used a spoon and have given a long acting antibiotic. She's due to lamb in 4 days so hopefully will be ok but her cards are most definitely marked now and she will go for sure.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 09:30:33 am »
I prefer to use a harness rather than a spoon.  I think the spoon must be pretty uncomfortable for the ewe and also a potential source of bacteria tracking up the cervix.

Jessandkath

• Joined Mar 2017
  • West Yorkshire
    • Riddlesden Jacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 04:17:39 pm »
Thanks everyone. Well in the end we just decided to stop worrying and just harness her up. We used baling twine and packaged her up like a Christmas present and that did the job. I was pretty pleased with it given I'd never done it before. She lambed last Wednesday morning and we took the harness off once we were sure she was lambing. Triplets. The first and last came head first without legs so needed assistance but luckily we were there. They're all good size lambs so not surprised there was no room inside her! She is doing well with them and has all three well fed and out in the field with her and we're making sure she has plenty of food and water. Unfortunately we had twins born yesterday which have been rejected by a totally bewildered ewe - not sure what went on there but they were hypothermic and she was just staring at them. They are currently in our shower room but it looks like they'll make it now. They have both found their voice and appetite

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 07:09:55 pm »
Great outcome, well done x :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS