Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dealing With Dead Stock  (Read 13191 times)

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Dealing With Dead Stock
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 02:17:03 pm »
I got a verbal warning for burying a lamb that sadly died.  So as far as I am aware you are not supposed to bury livestock, whether its pet or not.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 03:24:36 pm »
This begs the question, are the dissposal laws for Scotland different under their legal system, or does the rule overide the Scotish legal system and make it a United Kingdom practise.
There are a lot of laws different between Scotland & England.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 07:42:48 pm »
Having had to do it today....
In England, contact your local animal health office who give you the "fallen stock" helpline number.
they deal with fallen sheep (but have a "Daily quota") goats, scrapie infected animals.
With animals of a certain age, they offer free collection to take scrapie tests via a brain stem sample. the knackers collection is within 24 hours of them taking your details

It is ILLEGAL to bury or cremate any sheep, goat, cattle etc on your land, in England.
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 09:27:11 pm »
Same in Scotland - illegal for any farm animal to be buried, however as far as I know you are still allowed to bury a horse...

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 11:09:00 pm »
HI

Don't think anyone has mentioned the fallen stock scheme - you can find it by googling.  It costs a nominal amount (about £10 I think) to join and they will send you a list of people who can collect fallen stock for a nominal fee.  This is a non-profitmaking organisation and although I haven't joined yet seems well worth it. Covers everything including horses I believe.

Hardfeather

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 09:10:39 am »
If you have a local hound kennel you may find they will lift dead stock, and they are licenced to euthanase as well.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 03:15:41 pm »
The Animal By-Products (Scotland) Regulations 2003 prohibit the routine burial or burning of animal carcasses on farm. The regulations provide for a derogation to allow the continued on-farm disposal of fallen stock in the designated remote area, which covers most of the Highlands and Islands and Argyll. This is the only area in Scotland where on-farm disposal is permitted.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS