Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poultry keeping courses  (Read 8691 times)

alanb

• Joined Nov 2007
  • worcestershire
poultry keeping courses
« on: November 27, 2007, 02:13:15 pm »
Hi there i am planning to run some hands on poultry keeping courses in the spring. We are Worcestershire based and wondered if any one was interested in a halfday / full day looking at breeds, housing, feeding, care, biosecurity and hatching and rearing.
alanb
Henbrook Hens  alanb you flockmaster

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: poultry keeping courses
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 07:39:53 am »
Living in France it is not possible to attend, which is a shame.

Can you recommend a good www site that would give good info for raising chooks?

We have the more common layers, but are also now buying in fancy chooks as well. I wondered the best way to worm them? Being totally free range, they are spread around rather so dosage is a worry to me. I am told it goes into their water - ours drink from a stream, but I suppose it could be put into their water when they are closed up at night.

Also, I incubate chicks  and seem to get a 50 percent success with my hatchlings. I turn them and keep the humidity constant, and I can see that the eggs have developed but for some reason they don't all 'wake up' and hatch right at the end. This is very frustrating and upsetting because I hate to see anything die, so any tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:27:35 am »
i have returned to chickens this year, and swatted up using a brilliant book by kate thear. which outlined all aspects. i have had some success and some failure. but i have reared lot's of chicks and have produced lot's of eggs, meat and spare poults for friends to start off with. worming has always been a grey area as you cannot guarantee that they will drink from the treated water source or eat the right amount of treated food. i use cider vinegar on a regular basis and also use grated carrot and garlic, but am never sure how much to give them. experts i have asked tell me just to go with the pharmacutical remedies, but i am concerned about withdrawl periods. unfortunately the previous occupants of our house had a flock of neglected birds, pigs and horses, so i am paranoid that the ground is infected with parasites, and i worry about not keeping up with treatment. the pigs don't mind my constant vigilence, some of the chickens have got used to being picked up and checked over , but the geese, forget it . w ith the hatching rates , don't be too worried, you can do everything within your capabillities and mother nature has the last word.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 11:37:07 am »
Thanks Carl

Much appreciated!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

mojo

• Joined May 2008
  • glenay 79330 france
  • retired and married in north deux sevre FRANCE
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:06:25 pm »
chicken crazy ....thats me .....here in france the quality and range of breeds is much smaller than UK.i only breed rare breeds no hybrids.............try poultry keeper forum website for really helpfull chat.......ACVinegar is dispensed at 2% in clear water for one week per month(make sure you use plastic dispenser ).......... a crushed clove of garlic added to water for rest of month...............carotts one day per week ............greens hung up on a post will add intrest and help you view your birds..................any one in france near me?
retired to deep in rural france.keep 2 shih tzu dogs ( 1 boy 1 girl),1 cat(girl),lots of pure breed chickens(both sexes)....golden pheasants(both sexes) and the best wife a man could have

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS