Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Protection from horse flies  (Read 1755 times)

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
Protection from horse flies
« on: March 28, 2017, 12:31:42 pm »
We had a plague of horse flies on our holding last year. We used redcap fly attractors to good effect so hoping we have lessened the numbers a bit.plan on using them again this year.
I would like to know what protection against flies etc others are using on their goats.
I would rather not use front line if possible,would prefer to use a natural protection.
Has any one used citronella  spray or similar which has provided good protection?

Many thanks in advance for advice

Angie

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Protection from horse flies
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 04:17:26 pm »
Depends what you mean by good protection citronella and other 'narural' products will make a bit of a difference but only last a few hours. I use the horse ones like citronella as a 'better than nothing' deterrent. But that assumes you can get to them daily for a quick evening spray.

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:19:21 pm »
Thank you pharnorth, spraying them each day is not a problem, really not wanting to use front line, don't use on the dogs use neem oil instead, so will use that in the goats shampoo and use sprayed on citronella, hopefully this will give them some protection.

Has anyone used fly papers interned for hanging up in shelters and barns? If so any feed back would be welcomed.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 07:20:40 pm »
My word of warning on citronella, I'm sure you are not this daft but I have known people to put it on practically neat and it is a sensitising agent to sun damage. One person in particular had horrendous problems with persistent dermatitis / hair loss on a horse as a result. Natural does not always mean safe. I'd avoid it altogether on sensitive areas of skin, udders and the like. A sensitising agent typically means a problem can arise from prolonged repeat use even when dilute so again I don't use it exclusively day after day.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 10:19:23 pm »
I use fly papers in the goat shed and catch a load of flies. I was worried about the goats trying to eat them so I pin them up from both ends so they hang in a loop rather than straight down. It doesn't stop the number it catches. Three fly papers at once and changed every week through summer as they are jammed packed on by then.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:49:17 pm »
One research in Canada shown when muscovy ducks were kept inside cow sheds there was a lot less flies than when using insecticides and other commercial products.
Get some ducks, specifically muscovies, you won't see any insects near you.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS