Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recommendations of a 70hp 4WD tractor?  (Read 5281 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Recommendations of a 70hp 4WD tractor?
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:10:30 pm »
Hi all- I think I need a bigger tractor! I currently have an MF135 and am looking to upgrade to something a bit bigger, about 70hp and 4WD (the MF135 struggles on hilly areas with a disc mower). Ideally wanting to sell the MF135 and use it to fund the new one. So I guess looking at about £5K. Any thoughts what I should be looking at?
Thanks!
 :farmer:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Recommendations of a 70hp 4WD tractor?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:55:56 pm »
Old Renault 7014

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 04:41:56 pm »
Fieldfare,  hope you are well ;you are clearly much more knowledgeable and experienced with machinery thab when we first met.

In what way does your 135 struggle ?

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 08:01:41 pm »
Hi Stufe35- yes am well-ish! Basically it struggles up hill when I am cutting (i.e. on half of that field). Granted, this could be partly be due to the old blades on my mower- but I think I could do with another 30hp and 4WD so I am not stopping all the time and reversing. Photo shows the steepest bit I dare do (to the left is much steeper- you can see where it sort of humps up) and I am really struggling up this. My sward is a bit thistley etc. and very thick so that doesn't help. Haybobbing is easier but still slows down somewhat.

Pulling a baler up this bit is really tricky- wheels start to spin a bit.

I really think that I am pushing the limits of it due to my hilly bits. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:04:04 pm by Fieldfare »

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 07:09:26 pm »
when you get a new one - never sell that 135 :)

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:08:19 pm »
I have some thoughts for you -- but no time to type at the moment...another question...

why do you have to reverse with the mower ?

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 11:20:13 pm »
...mower starts to slow down and then stops...tractor also slows down...really feels like it is struggling with the weight of the mower combined with the hill.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 11:21:16 pm »
Hmmmm...yes the pictures do look sort of cool. I think I'll post a few more!

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 06:56:11 pm »
...and more pictures...actually feeling a bit nostalgic for the last couple of years using this!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 07:02:23 pm »
Beautiful machine :)

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 10:49:49 pm »
...mower starts to slow down and then stops...tractor also slows down...really feels like it is struggling with the weight of the mower combined with the hill.

Mower stops but tractor still running ?....either a clutch on the mower , a belt on the mower or the pto clutch on the tractor must be slipping. ..I think most likely an issue on the mower as otherwise you would have probably had issues with the haybob and baler stopping too.

Mower is perfectly suited to your tractor, it is a fault as noted above you need to resolve and renew your blades.

Regarding loss of traction with the baler,  solution is you need more weight on back wheels to aid traction.  This is one of the problems with a baler which is quite heavy but is balanced and hence doesn't put a lot of weight on the back wheels of the tractor, unlike a proper tractor trailer which increases weight on back wheels the more you load it.
So what could you do. .? 
1. Get rid of those weights off the front of the tractor when towing your baler they just transfer more weight onto the front wheels increasing rolling resistance whilst also transferring weight off the back wheels decreasing traction. A double whammy of negative effects.
1a. Check rear tyre pressures run at lowest recommended pressure to increase footprint.
2. Increase weight on back wheels . 2 methods I can think of. Buy rear wheel weights which bolt on, or fill rear tyres with water/antifreeze mixture.
3.another  possibility would be to buy some wider rear wheels...and add weight by one of the above methods.

You appear to have a belting 135 there which you bought well. Changing It for another tractor is fraught with risk so my advice would be try some of the above first.

Your other option without going to 4 wheel drive would be to change to the slightly larger 165 , 265, or 565, all essentially the same tractors under the skin. This will give you more power and more traction due to greater weight. You should be able to get a good one as a straight swap. You need to make sure you get one with power steering and do not under any circumstances buy one with multi-power transmission , they are not suited to hilly terrain.

4 wheel drive is obviously better for hilly terrain, but comes At a price and is a whole load more bits to go wrong. You got by with your 135 as it is so it isn't far off the mark, a few cheap mods and I believe all round it will serve you better longer and cheaper.  You may have to drop a gear going up hill...but what of it ? It's not like you've got 500 acres to do ! Points 1 and 1a may be enough. 

When you are baling this year you need to shorten the chains of the bale chute at the back of your baler so it sits level instead of dropping like in your photo.  It's purpose is to support the bale level as it comes out of the chamber, keeping the resistance constant so you get an even density bale that isn't bent.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:52:18 am by stufe35 »

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 11:24:16 pm »
'Changing It for another tractor is fraught with risk so my advice would be try some of the above first.'

yep better the devil you know - she is good - loverly bit of kit

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 11:55:24 pm »
Hmmmm...thanks for that comprehensive assessment of what may be happening Stu! I will work through those ideas and see if it gets a bit better in terms of the baler.
In terms of mowing I don't think it is the mower clutch. It seems to be that the tractor is struggling to go up the hilly bit- the revs start slowing right down and then the mower gets stuck as it hasn't got the speed to cut. I then have to stop, reverse to get revs up and then hit the sward again. Could be multiple reasons the blades not cutting well, thick, thistley sward combined with being on a hill? I walked up it today and even on foot it feels steep- I'm really worried about doing a wheely (eg hitting one of those giant molehills) when I have the mower on so feel safer having a couple of weights on the front (it goes pretty light on the steering). I really think this part of my fields is pushing my kit to the limit on a thick sward.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 02:54:32 am »
I didn't say take the weights of with the mower...just the baler.  Weights are for mounted implements not trailed implements.

What gear are you mowing in ?.

What speed do you have your revs set at ?

In your description you said..mower slows down then stops...what did you mean by this ?

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 09:22:09 am »
Hi Stu- re. weights that makes sense now. When cutting I'm in 1H. Revs set at 540rpm. On the flat the mower is spinning fine and tractor revs on dial are at 540rpm- as I climb the hill the tractor revs drop so I add more revs- then as it gets steeper giving extra does no good and revs reduce and tractor almost cuts out and mower slows down. I then stop. Reverse a bit (unclog mower if necessary) and start off again (I think I then pop it into 1L- which is perhaps the solution for these steep bits).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS