Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig housing  (Read 2900 times)

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
Pig housing
« on: June 25, 2010, 12:17:12 pm »
 ;D Hello! Me again....after more advice!!

Pig Arks.....second hand ones are as rare a rocking horse manure ( well where I live they seem to be!)......and as i'm a tight a***e I dont really want to spend £200 plus for a new one!! ( 8x6)

Ive been doing some sums and following a plan I found off internet using 18mm ply and that is going to cost the same as a new ark!!

What housing have you got for your pigs, bearing in mind I will not be breeding, just fattening ( 2 or 3 weaners this year ) and how much did it cost you??

again TIA for any replies :)

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Pig housing
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 12:40:41 pm »
Ours are made from corrugated iron taken from old buildings (it used to be very plentiful here).  Most of the wood comes from pallets. 

Do a search for pig arcs in the pig section, loads of suggestions there.

TG

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 01:05:01 pm »
As a temporary and cheap option I used straw bales covered in corrugated tin sheets. These were on a concrete base so probably better than being on mud !
The intention was to use for one pair of weeners last spring while I built something more permanent. I was expecting to have to re-build ever day but this was not a problem, it was not demolished once. In fact it worked so well I kept for a second pair over the winter and despite the temperatures the pigs were dry and warm.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 02:40:38 pm »
For my weaners that we raised Spring - Autumn I used a really old oil tank. We cut a door in the front and a side hatch for loading straw in and it does the job. As long as you're not keeping them in it over winter you don't need to worry about insulation.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 07:35:17 pm »
we built one out of ply with left over tin roofing sheets - used 3 sheets of 8' x 4' ply (18mm) and some 3" x 2"  as runners on the bottom - is perfect for our 4 GOS boars who are nearly 6 months old now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS